The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

'29 Scout Update

• 18 Apr 2020 7:19 PM
    Message # 8908211
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

With the work from home situation, I've had some extra time to devote to the '29 Scout disassembly,  I have taken it as far as I'm able/comfortable.  Today I removed the cylinders, pistons, tappets, and valves.  I will enlist some professional help to build up the flywheels and other internals.  I'm glad I decided to go this route as I did find some issues, primary bolt snapped off in transmission housing, magneto mount broken and bolt snapped off in magneto, cylinder stud broken, and biggest issue is in the photo.  Not only have the baffles been broken out and drilled out, but looks like the chisel took out part of the flywheel.  Good to know now and be able to address before I start her up.  Tim - looks like a new flywheel is in order.  In the mean time, I have lots of other parts to deal with.  Thanks to you all for your help and advice to get me to this point

Hope you're all well and healthy.  

1 file
  • 23 Apr 2020 5:47 PM
    Reply # 8924644 on 8908211

It is not always needed to restore the baffles, especially if you chose to use modern pistons and rings. Sometimes welding baffles in place can warp the cases and induce more machining work than it is worth.

It's another matter with the flywheels. It isn't always needed to replace a flywheel even it it has been in a breakdown. It can be marred at the edge without compromising strength. However the Indian windowed flywheels are notoriously weak at the tapers and crack easily when reused, trying to torque nuts to final specifications (According to Service Shot No. 141-April 11 1944, not more than 75 fp-lb=101 Nm=10kg-m!) 

I recommend always to replace windowed flywheels for new repro steel  flywheels because a flywheel breakdown is mostly sudden, final and very unhealthy in the case of a fall on the road at speed. Steel flywheels withstands easily (100 fp-lb=135 Nm=13,7 Kg-m) torque on the nuts and are in most cases easier to true up.

In a pinch use the newer Scout flywheels that does not have windows but still use the lower nut torque on those. Even better is to use Z marked flywheels that are cast steel and can take the higher torque.

Last modified: 23 Apr 2020 8:55 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.