The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

1929 scout 101

• 26 Apr 2020 8:58 PM
    Message # 8929788
    Anonymous

Good morning from Tasmania. My carby is a DLX 63 with a brass bowl and I can't stop it flooding. I have spend hours setting the float at 7/16 from top of bowl and getting the needle to drop neatly into the seat. However once installed and fuel turned on it is only a minute or so and the fuel is starting to vent out. The float and needle are new but everything else is original.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

• 27 Apr 2020 2:37 AM
    Reply # 8930142 on 8929788

Hello Michael,

You are not alone. I had exactly the same fight. After many hours I managed to get the leak rate to be low enough to run the bike.....turn on gas.....fill bowl.....turn off gas....start bike....turn on gas.....

Even now if I leave the gas tap on when the bike is not running the carb will flood. It takes several minutes and if left it will overflow, but it is a slow leak.

I eventually had success by setting up the float and bowl with it not connected to the carb. What I did was to have the bowl sitting on its own connected to the gas line and supported with a clamp. Then I sealed up the hole in the bottom using a nut, bolt and a couple of fiber washers. That way I could work on the float and valve without continually having to strip the carb.

Because I could now see the fuel in the bowl I set the fuel level rather than be concerned about the actual float level. I think this is important when switching between cork or plastic or brass floats. Mine is brass. 

One thing I did find was that it was really important to make sure that when the bowl goes back on that the float doesn't catch on the center post part.

I'm sure some of the highly experienced guys will give us some insights. Good luck my friend. 

• 27 Apr 2020 5:14 AM
    Reply # 8930286 on 8929788

I am opening a new topic that will be easier to find later, dealing with float valve restauration.

• 27 Apr 2020 7:16 AM
    Reply # 8930423 on 8929788

I had a similar issue. To cut a (very) long story short, it turned out to be the float needle seat loose in the carb body, fuel was leaking between the brass seat insert and the carb casting even when the needle was seating and sealing perfectly.  Careful tapping with a hammer and wooden drift reseated it and it's been working fine since.

• 27 Apr 2020 12:26 PM
    Reply # 8930944 on 8929788
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

i suspect that Carl-Erik will cover everything in great detail, but does the carb needle seat perfectly ?you should be able to stick your tongue to the fitting by sucking and creating a vacuum. This is easier to do with the bowl assembly inverted. If not, You need to attend to the seat. There were some great neoprene ( or similar ) needles available.It is also possible to improve the seat on a solid needle with very fine grinding compound toothpaste). An old trick is to use cigarette ash, this has the same effect. 

What float are you using? Is it definately free all the way thru its travel? Is there any way it may be hanging up on a gasket or part of the float bowl ? A modern float with different materials may well have a different lift than an original, so you may need to set it slightly lower. Most modern material hollow cell floats are made for Linkerts, and may need to be trimmed/sanded down to clear the smaller Schebler float bowl, bearing in mind that there will be a slight amount of side to side play to take into account too.

Last modified: 27 Apr 2020 12:32 PM | Tim Raindle (Administrator)
  • 27 Apr 2020 7:58 PM
    Reply # 8932029 on 8929788
    Anonymous

Thanks for all your comments. I did replace the float with one from Walkers to suit a brass bowl, the needle is new and I did buy a new seat but can't figure out how to take out the old one, I have ground it in with tooth paste that has been suggested. 

Looking forward to seeing Eric's report that is for sure.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.