The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Grooves in Rear Brake Drum

• 04 May 2020 6:40 PM
    Message # 8946556
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Finished disassembling my rear wheel brake assembly today, and you can see the condition of the brake drum.  Deep grooves worn into the metal with corresponding ridges on the friction material.  I'll obviously replace the friction material.  Can anything be done for the brake drum?  I doubt if my local Budget Brakes would know what to do with it...

Thanks,

John

1 file
  • 06 May 2020 9:56 AM
    Reply # 8950349 on 8946556

Welding and regrind on the surface is a hit and miss, depending on the material structure and hardening, it can become too hard and fine structure with very little friction. Crimp on a sleeve is risky even if spot welded in place, it can crack or behave strange when red hot sometime down a steep hill.. Use the center only and weld on a new ring is maybe ok...in a pinch out somewhere on the russian tundra with no post office in sight... 

But there is good people that has devoted time, effort and money to research proper material, develop and produce precision press tools in order to make new, quality brake drums for us. Not only that but entire hubs and brakes sold separately and in parts.

• 07 May 2020 12:33 PM
    Reply # 8953650 on 8946556

Thanks for your reply, Carl-Erik.  Regardless of repair or replace, I need to remove the old brake drum.  I was able to carefully drift the drum lock ring off of the hub.  I see on page 40i of the R&O Manual that the drum has tabs on the inner diameter that match the interrupted threads on the hub.  Any advice on how to best remove the drum?  Is it pressed into place, or can I tap it out from the sprocket side using a hammer and drift?  I have learned to take a moment to consider carefully when I start reaching for the hammer...

John

• 07 May 2020 6:27 PM
    Reply # 8954383 on 8946556

The drum is sitting on splines, the same way as the sprocket on the other side is. And it can be drifted out with some caution. It can be difficult to remove caused by rust or slight deformation if the nut has been loose at some time. The drum and for that case the sprocket both on the hub and gearbox has to be fitted really snug, tap on fit. Any play will eventually work the nut loose, and if that happens it will not be pretty I'll tell you! Reject and return replacements that does not fit properly.

If you disassemble both sides of the hub, remember that the long portion of the hub is for the brake drum. It is sometimes found the wheel is turned the wrong way.

Rear wheel hubs came in at least 4 versions. Loose ball bearing hubs that has no humps. Timken taper bearing hubs with one hump or humps at both sides, and the -31 hub that is a complete different animal.

Front hubs came in 2 different versions. Small hump is for loose ball bearing and those with a big hump is for Timken taper bearings.

5 files
    Last modified: 12 May 2020 12:08 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 07 May 2020 8:03 PM
    Reply # 8954513 on 8946556

Thanks, Carl-Erik, for your accurate advice.  My hub has two "humps".  The brake drum came off without any issues.  You can see the multiple wraps of fence wire that were under the drum - it would be interesting to know the history of where this bike was ridden and maintained.  I will also remove the sprocket to make sure the wheel is not turned around.

John

1 file
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.