The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

timing gears

• 04 May 2020 8:18 PM
    Message # 8946718
    Anonymous

Good morning again. My 1929 Indian Scout is completely restored - a long story but I had to take the timing cover off to check a rattle and a couple of the gears came out with the cover including a cam gear. I have replaced them with all marks lining up but motor won't fire and coughs out the carby. So what would be the correct way to replace the timing gears with the motor still fully assembled as I am wondering if I have put in wrong? 

• 05 May 2020 3:28 AM
    Reply # 8947358 on 8946718
    Michael Weeks wrote:

Good morning again. My 1929 Indian Scout is completely restored - a long story but I had to take the timing cover off to check a rattle and a couple of the gears came out with the cover including a cam gear. I have replaced them with all marks lining up but motor won't fire and coughs out the carby. So what would be the correct way to replace the timing gears with the motor still fully assembled as I am wondering if I have put in wrong? 

Hello Michael     You will need to time  the magneto  by  piston stroke   .If your magneto was not born with the bike   and or the magneto gear   then timing can be well off  > I have found that with many  Indians  .

• 06 May 2020 9:01 AM
    Reply # 8950277 on 8946718

Check the obvious first, switch the spark plug wires front to rear, rear to front and try again.

Maybe change spark plugs for new. Is there a frayed wire somewhere, crack in the bakelite, pickup brushes broken, or a short or close counter somewhere. Is something in the valve system binding? is the valve lash correct?

The line marking on the magneto can be off by one or more cogs, that may be caused by a replaced gear or shaft or something else, back in time. Still the magnet is OK, it is only the marking that needs to be altered. To check that and  time the magneto, line up the markings on the gears first in order to check that they all are lined up. 

At least one cylinder head must be off. Check top dead center on a piston and make a note of the distance to the cylinder top surface. That distance can vary greatly depending on piston type or manufacturer, what rods or stroke is used in the engine.

Advance the magneto with the handle to full advance and lock it there. Then turn the engine to ignition point on the magneto where the breakers just separate, and make a note on what cylinder that is occuring on. Lock the magneto gear with a small clamp or wedge or something so it doesn't turn on you.

Remove one of the idler gears and turn the engine so the piston is for a 45ci engine, 5/16" (8mm) before top dead center (+the eventual piston distance measured before), and for a 37ci engine 7/32" (5,5mm). 

Put back the idler gear, the marking position on that gear does not matter in this stage, just put it in. Remove the mag.gear lock and turn the engine so the markings on the other gears line up again. Now the idler gear can be taken out again and turned so the marking on that lines up with the others. 

Now looking at the magneto gear original marking, it may or may not be off with one or more cogs! That is ok for your particular magneto. Double check everything, go back and repeat all stages until you are sure. Also check cam timings when you are at it. Make notes and take pictures for later. I have found that notes with the pictures is important. I really mean pictures of the notes....!!! :-)

Now IF the gear marking is off and you are SURE about that, grind off the original marking and grind in a new one so the next time it is lined up correct and makes assembly so much easier.

Sorry, I have only documented Bosch DVAR/DVBR at this stage. Some pictures is showing breaker position when the gears is in the right position, lined up.

5 files
    Last modified: 06 May 2020 9:21 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 11 May 2020 12:49 AM
    Reply # 8960204 on 8946718
    Anonymous

Hi all again and many thanks to Carl for the great info. Just incase anyone was wondering I did get my bike to run over the weekend. I did spend a lot of time re building the bracket that holds the float so that there was no movement apart from up and down. However I did check the timing gears again ( mine were a reproduction from Europe) and what I discovered was the magneto gear had two grooves. The one I was using was similar to all the other gears but there was a smaller groove about 1/4 of a turn away. I did use that one and everything lined up with points opening at the right time etc. I put everything back together and second kick it fired up and is running better than ever.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.