The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Gearbox Lug Broken

• 04 Jun 2020 8:47 AM
    Message # 9014541

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of tackling the engine and gearbox on my 101 kit and now dunked all the bits in my new degreasing tank.

I have found that the lug on the gearbox which I believe is for the chainguard is broken off.

Does anyone have a good gear casing to hand that can provide the original size for this lug?

Looking at the remains on my casing, I would estimate about 3/4" diameter and standing off the casing by 1/8" - however this gives a drilled hole of only about 1/4" deep and not much thread at all for the chainguard stud.

Any help most welcome. Thanks.

1 file
  • 05 Jun 2020 9:22 AM
    Reply # 9017035 on 9014541
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Mick, no lug there, stud threaded into case supports chain guard. There is a flat boss around it.

• 05 Jun 2020 11:13 AM
    Reply # 9017313 on 9014541
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Here's mine.

1 file
  • 05 Jun 2020 9:08 PM
    Reply # 9018368 on 9014541

The boss has same protrusion as the big nut rim, I estimate they are even. Most all are worn down more or less by the chainguard bracket. The diameter is about 20mm.

Last modified: 05 Jun 2020 9:23 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 06 Jun 2020 8:38 AM
    Reply # 9018845 on 9014541

Many thanks for your replies.

I have poked around in the remnants of the hole and found muck in the bottom so now I see there is approx 7/16" deep pilot hole which makes more sense for the thread for the stud to fit.

I'll be off to Exactweld in UK soon to pick up other (Triumph!) part so will see if they can do a "while you wait" service on building the lug, boss ... protrusion or whatever back up to shape.

Now got crankcase split to sort out big end. Good news is that it doesn't look like it's been apart before. Picture attached.

Best regards to all.

P.S. Tim if you are in the UK for a while and getting bored, you are most welcome to visit sunny Sussex!

1 file
  • 25 Jul 2020 4:53 AM
    Reply # 9124011 on 9014541

Hi Mick,

is that a crack I can see on the mounting bracket on far left of your picture of the engine crankcase ?

Just concerned.

Mike.

• 25 Jul 2020 7:51 AM
    Reply # 9124206 on 9014541

Progress!

Broken gearbox lug built up with weld and boss machines flat tapped and re-profiled on the Bridgeport mill.

Rest of the weld dressed back with a "Blacksmiths" type file - good for horses hooves and good for aluminium!

Now looks more like it should.

Oh and in reply to last post, what looks like a crack is just where the sand casting mould divides.

Pictures attached just to show that (slow) progress is being made.

A bit more cleaning up and it'll be good as new.

Cheers Mick

2 files
  • 27 Jul 2020 9:00 PM
    Reply # 9129357 on 9014541
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Nice job, Mick. Who welded, tig or gas, and what rod ????

Love to know this stuff.

How did you go with the weld on the rear left frame lug ? I was concerned about that, may be worth hitting it with a torch and normalising ?

cheers,

Tim

• 05 Aug 2020 3:31 AM
    Reply # 9145363 on 9014541

The welded repair was done by Guy at Exactweld in East Grinstead UK using TIG.

Not exactly sure of the welding rod used - didn't think to ask.

Regarding the old weld on my rear frame lug, I'll give the weld a good inspection when I get it blasted. This should show up if there's any cracking going on there.

Cheers Mick

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.