The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Continuing restoration

• 25 Jul 2020 4:40 AM
    Message # 9124004

After a bit of a gap in the restoration of my 101,due to work involved in finishing a classic car for sale, I am back working on it and just have the sidecar body to complete and a few minor details all round.

Now I am not sure if the breather valve is correctly fitted. Should the flap have a spring behind it to close it during part of the revolution of the crankshaft? The breather was on the left side of the motor but I have refitted as per the shop manual . Photos and or a drawing of the setup would be handy.

Mike.

• 28 Jul 2020 2:34 AM
    Reply # 9129827 on 9124004

No there isn't any spring behind the disc. A parts list could also be helpful in the case of uncertainty. They are available as PDF on the net.

• 29 Jul 2020 10:11 AM
    Reply # 9132732 on 9124004
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Mike, the disc sits in the recess lip in the breather pipe, and is sucked against the engine case. On a mechanically quiet machine you can here a light twitter as the disc opens and closes. 

Don't use a gasket here, as that will create an extra gap for the disc to move into and hang up. A light smear of Yamabond 4 or similar will suffice. You can check operation by attaching a rubber pipe to the end of your breather tube, and sucking and blowing. If its working it will be obvious.

• 04 Aug 2020 3:50 PM
    Reply # 9144295 on 9124004

I have been trying to get the bike stated today for first time since the rebuild, without success so far. A good friend with stronger leg muscles than mine came over to help do the kick starting and to give free advice.

The bike almost fired up a couple of times but was backfiring through the carb. We noticed a drip of petrol leaking from the Y manifold at the rear cylinder joint, but fuel does not seem to be getting to the cylinders. There was a slight smell of fuel on the spark plugs, but that was all. I think that an air leak is in the inlet manifold/carb system which will have to be fixed before the bike will run. I now have the manifold and carb off the car and the carb joint surface is dead flat, but the manifold flange was quite bowed so that has now been sanded dead flat.

I am not totally happy with the manifold to cylinder joints. I believe an alternative is rings made from PEKE.  What should the original brass rings look like? Are they a double taper like  compression joint or are they square sided ?

What diameter should the manifold be where the rings sit ?

Another thing I have to check is the magneto spark. What sort of voltage should I be getting at the plugs, how many Kilovolts ?

Not quite there yet but close,

Mike.

• 04 Aug 2020 4:28 PM
    Reply # 9144357 on 9124004

I meant to ask, what should the compression pressure be in psi for the 750 engine ?

Mike.

• 05 Aug 2020 12:58 AM
    Reply # 9145143 on 9124004

Hello Mike,

I had Moen at Indian Parts Europe machine my manifold and fit PEEK seals. It is an excellent job and seals well. Does take a little time though. I recommend it. To get my bike going in the short term, with the old brass rings, and prove it would run I bodged up the manifold with some sealant. No good in the long run but proved the bike would run and that I didn't have any other problems (I did have other problems but they are another story).

https://www.indianpartseurope.com/news.html#peek

Cheers

Jon

• 05 Aug 2020 1:07 AM
    Reply # 9145146 on 9124004

Hello again Mike,

For the magneto I can highly recommend a chat with, and the services of, Bill Brown at Brightspark Magnetos Ltd. www.brightsparkmagnetos.com

He is the only guy in UK I found who could sort out my magneto (that was rebuilt by someone else 180 degrees wrong). Bill sorted it out at a very reasonable cost and without lots of the fuss and bull sh*t that other people gave me.

Cheers

Jon

• 05 Aug 2020 8:07 AM
    Reply # 9145795 on 9124004

Well I made small progress today, less friend, who got fed up kicking it over for me !!

While the carb was off I decided to check if the needle valve and float were ok and removed the bowl. While I was doing this I saw that the main jet was half way through the venturi. It had been fitted in the wrong way up, so now that is in correct place and I went on to check the spark. Not getting much of a response on my old trusty AVO meter.(Tim will know what one of those is !!) Just get a kick on the meter needle and that is about it.

With the spark plug out an resting on metal, the spark is orange blue colour.

Is that ny indication of the condition of the mag ?

Re. the manifold brass rings, I have used a thick Permatex gasket cement and am hoping that it will do the job for test purposes. I need to do something more permanent later. What is the diameter of the manifold where the brass rings sit and what is the inner diameter of the brass rings.

Mike.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.