The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Foot Brake Return Spring Installation

• 07 Aug 2020 8:06 PM
    Message # 9151414
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

My Scout came without the foot brake return spring installed.  I have the spring, but am unsure how it hooks up.  Could somebody either explain how to install it, or send a photo of one correctly installed?

Thanks,

John

• 20 Aug 2020 6:42 AM
    Reply # 9178463 on 9151414

Hi John, I would also like photos of how it fits. Spring is missing from my bike, so I also need spring length/size details.

Mike.

• 21 Aug 2020 3:00 PM
    Reply # 9182267 on 9151414
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Cool, I get to answer my own post!  Two photos attached - 1324 is from my friend Doug Jones and it shows the spring installed on his '29.  That was the secret I was looking for.  Photo 0259 shows the spring installed on my '29.  I bought the spring from Kent Thompson for $15.  It would be more than that in frustration for me to try to make one.

New question for the community.  I've seen the rear brake actuating rod installed in both of the holes in the foot pedal on different bikes.  Is there a preferred location? 

John

2 files
  • 24 Aug 2020 7:51 AM
    Reply # 9186650 on 9151414

There is 2 aspects to where the rod is attached on the pedal. With the rod n the lower position the pedal travel is longer and you might apply a larger force on the pedal because of the shorter lever distance, but then in order to reduce the free travel at the pedal you might want to adjust the band closer to the drum. That can induce friction if the drum and band come in contact at speed, the arch of the band may not be perfect or the drum might be slightly oval or even expand when hot, so that is a risk of brake fading. With the rod in the upper hole the force you apply with the pedal might be a fraction lesser but you can have a larger distance between the band and drum.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.