The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

1928 gas tank repair

• 22 Aug 2020 2:20 PM
    Message # 9184257

i am looking for leads as to someone to disassemble and repair a 1928 101 gas tank. The tank itself looks pretty good shape, but one of the baffles has broken lose. Along with some of the fittings are loose. Does anyone know of a good place or person that does this sort of repair work? 

mjkeil350@gmail.com

• 24 Aug 2020 8:04 AM
    Reply # 9186655 on 9184257

It is a very good idea to resolder the tank! With age the solder crystallize and become brittle and rust also creeps up in the joints and splits the seams. You didn't tell where you are located so it's difficult to recommend the closest shop. But the only one that makes the job, that I know of, completely with a total tin dip of all details and use solders with different melting temperatures for reassembly is Vahan Dinihanian vahan237@gmail.com in Portland, Oregon. He also have all spare parts, makes all needed repairs and improve certain details in the tank.

Last modified: 24 Aug 2020 9:45 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 25 Aug 2020 1:53 PM
    Reply # 9189678 on 9184257

I sent mine to Vahan to be repaired 5 weeks ago & he still has it,so you might be aware of his workload. Also Vahan said he will do what is needed except solder the halves of the tanks back together because of liability issues.I will need to have someone solder & pressure test in my city.

• 26 Aug 2020 10:30 AM
    Reply # 9191596 on 9184257
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Interesting, thanks for that info, Rex. Any news on costs etc ? 

Tim

• 28 Aug 2020 12:01 PM
    Reply # 9196273 on 9184257

Tim, I have no estimate or final cost as of now.I will update complete repair info  when I get the tank back from Vahan. Vahan told me to make 1/4" plywood template of frame tank mounts, to use when soldering tank halves back together for proper fit. 

• 28 Aug 2020 12:17 PM
    Reply # 9196324 on 9184257

I think the cost is dependent on condition so difficult to guesstimate.  I sent my tank to Vahan a couple of years ago, it was in poor condition...lots of dents but no holes and needing all new parts (e.g. bungs, mounting pieces and plates, etc.) and his estimate was quite a bit more than I had imagined so I had him send it back.  I had already split the tank and taken out the oil compartment so I'm going to (someday) re-do the tank myself.  Meanwhile, I purchased a nice new one from Juergen Mattern and I'll still be over $1000 less with a new tank compared to what it would have cost to repair.

This is not a comment on his work or his pricing, I'm sure it's very, very good and worth the cost... but restoring the tank myself was what I originally wanted to do anyway!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.