The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Missing page in RO ??

• 24 Aug 2020 6:10 AM
    Message # 9186540

I am checking out my Splitdorf magneto and find that the information in the RO  is missing page 5. (it jumps from 4 to 6)

Can some kind gent email the missing info to me please. (pm me.)

What should spark plug gap be ? 025" ?

Mike.

• 24 Aug 2020 8:42 AM
    Reply # 9186678 on 9186540

Your R&O might be a different version, I got a very old one. The pages 4&5 is copied on the same page, 33A and 6&7 on p. 33B. The spark plug gap should be a little less than on nowadays standard they come with in the box. 0,5mm or .020" same as the breaker points gap on the Splitdorf. Or there about. With a good magneto, the engine also starts well with a little bit larger gap.

1 file
    Last modified: 24 Aug 2020 9:15 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 27 Aug 2020 3:41 AM
    Reply # 9193304 on 9186540

Many thanks Carl, I have copied it and added to my RO.

Re. plugs I have set at .025". I am still having problems starting the bike. (I have called it several names other than bike.!!)

I now have fuel getting from the carb to manifold, but noticed yesterday that when kicking it over, by putting my hand over carb air inlet, I get suction ok on the induction stroke, but further round, there is a blow back that I can feel on my hand. Is this normal with both pistons aligned as they are ?

Needless to say I will be making sure tappet gaps are correct, as at the moment it seems to me that maybe one of the the inlet valves is not closing tight.

Mike.

• 28 Aug 2020 4:26 AM
    Reply # 9195520 on 9186540

If everything is correct with the cams and valves, it should be like that. I haven't tried choking the carb with my hand so I can't tell if a blowback is felt. But it sounds strange with  blowback at kicking speed. Intake valve should close just about 1/2" after bottom dead center.

1 file
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.