The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Indian evolution

• 09 Sep 2020 1:56 AM
    Message # 9222056

I was looking through some photos of the Indian Powerplus bikes and saw how the later 101's evolved. One thing I noticed was that the earlier bikes had a swinging rear suspension on leaf springs. Maybe this was discontinued due to bad handling, or perhaps the safety aspect entered the equation, such as one of the leaf springs breaking ?

The motors have not changed much at all through the years and all parts were recognisable with the later models. The fuel tanks had a recess above the spark plugs to aid removal  and to provide better gap so the spark could not reach the tank. Maybe a retrograde step on the later models where the plugs are mighty close to tank.?

The gear change was interesting, working through levers with selection through a quadrant. Have a look on Google images and you might find it interesting and in some cases surprising.

Mike.

• 10 Sep 2020 4:26 AM
    Reply # 9224752 on 9222056
    Mike Byrne wrote:

I was looking through some photos of the Indian Powerplus bikes and saw how the later 101's evolved. One thing I noticed was that the earlier bikes had a swinging rear suspension on leaf springs. Maybe this was discontinued due to bad handling, or perhaps the safety aspect entered the equation, such as one of the leaf springs breaking ?

The motors have not changed much at all through the years and all parts were recognisable with the later models. The fuel tanks had a recess above the spark plugs to aid removal  and to provide better gap so the spark could not reach the tank. Maybe a retrograde step on the later models where the plugs are mighty close to tank.?

The gear change was interesting, working through levers with selection through a quadrant. Have a look on Google images and you might find it interesting and in some cases surprising.

Mike.

Hello Mike , I think the reason they stopped the rear suspension was down to economy as I know from riding my 1917 the handling is very good and the suspension is a real boon , makes it so much more cumfy !! The quadrant on the gear change linkage is 1/ to stop the gears coming out of mesh and 2/ making sure you use the clutch as that disengages the locking mechanism . Lovely bike to ride !! You should get one mike , so easy to start too (sorry) . Ken
  • 11 Sep 2020 3:09 AM
    Reply # 9227463 on 9222056

Hi Ken,

"You should get one mike , so easy to start too (sorry) . Ken"

Yes Ken , sore point, it still refuses to start, but found a small fault the other day. The contact breaker base plate was not quite correct. Where the metal bends up to take the points it was not bent square and not letting the points seperate correctly, so that is now done, so might be ok now.

I was also setting the timing up on the wide magneto cam and by doing that I think it was missing the narrow cam and only trying to fire on the wide one.

I have now set it up on narrow cam. I think that makes some sense.

Will have to wait until tank is done before any more can be done.I am also going to restore the original tank as that is better fit around the top curve than the repro one, but that needs a new base so plenty of work there.

Mike.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.