The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front brake shoe stud broken :(

• 09 Nov 2020 4:53 PM
    Message # 9353914

Hi all,

As I was taking the shoes of my front brake a little piece broke off the stud that that the brake shoes ride on.  I checked Walker Machine to see if they sell these and it appears they do not.  The metal is so thin I doubt it would be repairable.  Part of me wonders if the the brake shoes would still function properly even with this damage.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill Erickson

1 file
    Last modified: 09 Nov 2020 4:57 PM | Bill Erickson
  • 10 Nov 2020 11:05 PM
    Reply # 9356950 on 9353914

The brake shoes need the support that the lip makes to restrict them from move sideways and touch the back of the drum, that is the danger. If it is safe to let the damage be depends if the the damage is at risk be too little support for the shoe, or snag it, or if there is a crack further in the thin lip that may risk break off later.

The top can be ground off and a washer welded on the stud. The stud can be shortened a fraction and the shoe pivot area can be trimmed down if the welded on washer is thicker than the original lip. The important part is to check so the repair does not touch the back of the drum at any circumstances.

Last modified: 10 Nov 2020 11:16 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 12 Nov 2020 8:36 PM
    Reply # 9361828 on 9353914

Thank you so much Carl-Erik - as always your input is very much appreciated.

Bill

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.