The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Grease fittings and other odds & ends

• 16 Dec 2020 11:16 AM
    Message # 9434277

Hello guys,

My motor is well under rebuild and as parts are going out to paint and plating I was making an invitory of the odds and ends I will need to put everything back together.  For example I need a bunch of cotter pins as my stock is practically non existent right now.  So , before I make an order I was hoping I could tap into the collective experience of the group and get a list of the things that I may overlook. 

For example I am replacing all of my grease fittings.  Does anyone have a count on the exact number that are on a 31 (save me from having to count)

As for the cotter pins does anyone have a list of the different sizes needed. 

Tim is getting me the part numbers for a couple of essential specialty wrenches.

Any other little things that come to mind that you found helpful to have on hand for final assembly would be greatly appreciated.  

Daniel

• 21 Dec 2020 8:21 PM
    Reply # 9445138 on 9434277

I think you can find answers to most of your questions by reading through the topics in this forum. One aspects of the hobby that I find enjoyable is research and investigation, still after some 20 years I learn new stuff...

• 22 Dec 2020 5:54 PM
    Reply # 9447108 on 9434277

Hi Carl-Erik

thanks, I have and will continue to research. Just thought it might be a fun conversation. 

Daniel

• 23 Dec 2020 12:50 AM
    Reply # 9447593 on 9434277
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Just in passing, was browsing a piece of 1927 sales lit the other day and it announced 10 alemite grease fittings as exciting new update for Police special. Hmmm.

Off the top of my head, front wheel / back wheel hubs, 4 on the front fork rockers one on the leaf spring one on the front brake anchor. Brake pedal and kicker stud. One on the seat tongue for 31, no brake cross shaft in 31 so thats 11 ? Must have missed some .

• 23 Dec 2020 8:02 PM
    Reply # 9449189 on 9434277
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Ouch, missed a few. 2nd one on front brake stop, 2 on 31 rear brake linkages to make up for the 2 that aren't there on the crosshaft, and one on the clutch pedal casting. Is that it ? Memory, old age and all that.

Do I win any prizes, Carl-Erik, or have I missed any more, without checking the parts book?

How is the new job going ?

cheers,

Tim

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.