The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Need advice to get flywheels out of case

• 23 Dec 2020 5:35 PM
    Message # 9449024

Hello all,

I split the cases trying to get them ready for bead blasting, however I cannot get the flywheel assembly out because of the nut on the cam gear.  The nut on the gear is very thin and there appears to be a concave washer (I think) underneath it.  With these issues it is next to impossible to get a wrench on it, see attached pic.  In addition, it looks like somebody probably peened the end of the shaft to hold the nut on.  Any ideas?  BTW - I assume this nut is left hand thread?

1 file
    Last modified: 23 Dec 2020 7:32 PM | Bill Erickson
  • 24 Dec 2020 4:16 AM
    Reply # 9449775 on 9449024

I would try grinding a chamfer around the outide of your socket to match the profile of the washer.

• 24 Dec 2020 7:43 AM
    Reply # 9450036 on 9449024
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Bill. 

Just split the nut, or grind it off, you are not going to want to save the shaft anyway. The 101 has a left hand thread screw there. Later scout shafts had an extension into the oil pump, with a left hand nut on it. It was common to use these when 101 shafts weren't available and just cut the end of the shaft off. That looks like what you have there. 

The pinion gear is a press fit on the shaft, so it is best to use the correct puller on it, and maybe a little light heat, once you have the nut removed.

This process is a lot easier with the crankcases together. Take care not to put any weight or pressure on the rhs case, as it is easy to damage the housing around the captive thrust washer .

• 25 Dec 2020 6:43 PM
    Reply # 9451541 on 9449024

Thanks Tim.  Finally was able to coax the nut off, but I see you need to have a special puller for this.  I checked the Walker Machine website and did not see a pinion puller listed.  Any ideas where I can find one?

• 26 Dec 2020 8:38 AM
    Reply # 9452020 on 9449024
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/p/tool/11396

Essential tool for all scouts and chiefs. Worth investing in. 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.