The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Media blasting cases, primary, etc.

• 25 Dec 2020 7:01 PM
    Message # 9451545
    I am a bit new to this but I assume most folks bead blast the engine cases, primary and transmission.  If so, any recommendations with precautions I should take before I start?  I assume mating surfaces for the cases and primary should be taped off, as well as bearing surfaces, etc.  Was thinking of using something like Glyptal to coat the inside of the engine cases and maybe the interior of the primary cases.  Any opinions (pro or con) on this?  Thanks in advance.
  • 26 Dec 2020 8:33 AM
    Reply # 9452017 on 9451545
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Bill, here is my take on it.

Ideally, you should be blasting the cases with a medium such as coconut or walnut shells, or even maybe vapour blasting.

I still use a very fine glass bead, but I also turn the pressure way down.

You should not be blasting anyways near hard enough to need to mask off mating surfaces.

The main issue with glass beads or sand is that fine particles can, and will, embed themselves in the aluminum, and then get lightly peened in by the process. On motor start up the heat from the engine will then likely open up these pores and release nice grinding material into your freshly built motor. 

Whatever you do, clean rigorously afterwards with nice hot soapy water.

Glyptol fine if you wish, altho the danger is that after a while it may start peeling and leave chunks of paint in your oil. Not as terminal on a total loss bike as recirculating oil. It may prevent a little oil seepage thru porous cases but generally they are not that bad.

Carefully flat file mating surfaces to remove any burrs or flatten any dings. Don't take off much material.

• 27 Dec 2020 9:37 AM
    Reply # 9452903 on 9451545

Thanks Tim, I guess I didn't realize that the glass could embed itself into the metal.  Maybe I will take a crack at it with fine walnut shell media.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.