The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

DGP Engine Case - TenauL Foundry

• 04 Aug 2021 12:36 AM
    Message # 10793318

Hello everyone, I am a new member of 101 Association and working on my first 101 Scout. I restored Sport Scout, Jr Scout and Chief before have seen few engine cases but never noticed a name tag embossed inside left engine case. I split my 1929 engine last week and there you go "TenuaL" foundry name inside. 

My engine is one of the high numbers for 1929 DGP 8794 (highest for that year should be 8816).

Was there some known affiliation between Indian and English Engine Foundry ? 

1 file
    Last modified: 04 Aug 2021 12:41 AM | Albert Heldak
  • 05 Aug 2021 8:23 AM
    Reply # 10796364 on 10793318
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Albert, answering quickly off the top of my head, which is never a good idea without cross referencing, but there are two types of aluminum used on our motors. One trademark is lynite, which was produced in New England, and the other was Tenual, which as I recall was produced somewhere near Cleveland. A lot of cases outside the US seem to be marked Tenual, and altho I think noone has a definitive answer, it is possible that the tenual castings were shipped into Canada  and overseas from there to avoid British Empire Import tariffs, or maybe simply that one aluminum foundry could not keep up with demand, so they had to have an alternate source.

Will try and look up my notes on the company that produced tenual over the weekend.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.