The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

rear fender chain guard cutout

• 09 Jan 2022 2:07 PM
    Message # 12250486

Curious as I rehabilitate my 1929 rear fender, is the fender skirted all the way to the bottom where it's cut out, or inset, to accommodate the chainguard?  The R&O diagram for the rear fender shows that there is indeed a skirt, yet when I view current reproduction fenders and fenders of 101's in various states of preservation (newly restored to well ridden) I see no skirt.

My rear fender must have suffered a catastrophic chain failure some time in its life, and the area where the guard passes the fender was all chewed up, pock marked, and cracked....yet there remained a 5" section of skirt starting at the bottom edge.  So I built off that and think that's the way it should be.  Am I wrong?

• 13 Jan 2022 11:05 PM
    Reply # 12261210 on 12250486

Hi Harry,

I've attached a couple photos of my rear fender. Let me know if you need a different view.

Dave

2 files
  • 14 Jan 2022 5:50 PM
    Reply # 12262961 on 12250486

Dave, those pictures are fantastic, thank-you!  So it does indeed appear that the skirting in the chainguard cutout is full width to match the overall curve of the fender.  It's a compound bending of the sheet metal in that area so I can see, perhaps, why reproduction fenders might skip that detail?

Now I've got to ponder how I'm going to add the small bend your fender is showing in the cutout from the edge, guessing it's 3/4" from the edge to match the 3/4" small skirt on the rest of the fender.  My fender has the slightest hint of a bend there on the portion of fender that wasn't ripped out by what I suspect was a chain failure...I really hadn't noticed it before due to all the damage there!

Last modified: 14 Jan 2022 5:52 PM | Harry Roberts
  • 15 Jan 2022 8:21 AM
    Reply # 12264610 on 12250486

Interesting, you learn something new every day in this hobby. I have not noticed 101 fenders with that chain recess skirted (or rather not cut out) before, but as always with Indian there is versions and variants.

I provide pictures for comparasion, pre-101 fenders with the front end straight down with the recess skirted, in comparasion to the 101 fenders that is a continous curve.

The picture with the blue background is mine, solid fender without hinge, pic taken from the wrong side but the chain recess cut out is visible. The green one without the toolbox recess on the opposite side is a Indian Four fender that has that skirted recess.

Brochures shows the early 101 Scout, with skirted recess and now is the task for club members to pinpoint the transition date when the factory started to cut out the chain recess and why!

5 files
    Last modified: 16 Jan 2022 4:28 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 15 Jan 2022 9:14 AM
    Reply # 12264833 on 12250486

...what prompted my question was the combination of three conflicting sources, and now two additional conflicting sources:

1) drawing by George in the R&O shows a full skirt

2) picture in the R&O of the Ron Keno bike appears NOT to have the full skirt

3) my own fender has the remains of a full skirt

4) and now Dave's picture of his fender shows the full skirt

5) and Carl's picture shows no full skirt

2 files
    Last modified: 15 Jan 2022 9:24 AM | Harry Roberts
  • 15 Jan 2022 2:06 PM
    Reply # 12265390 on 12250486

Harry,

My 101 Scout has very early 1928 cases, DGP268. I believe the fenders are original to this bike.

Here are a couple more pictures of the recessed area which may help with some of the dimensions. The offset formed into the skirt measures about .030"; my guess is that Indian would have designed it as 1/32".

And thank you, Carl Erik, for posting more fender pics. Very helpful to me!

Dave

2 files
  • 16 Jan 2022 8:58 AM
    Reply # 12267597 on 12250486

Dave, Unfortunately I can only guess that I have 1929 sheet metal, no fender hinge and no detent rod through the tank ...my engine came from a different source.   

I understand that the 101 and the Four shared the same front fender, but I also wonder if they shared the same rear fender, the rear fender part numbers are almost the same, SA2836x on the 101 and AA2836x on the four.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.