The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Headlight Question

• 27 Mar 2022 7:24 PM
    Message # 12683068

First off I really appreciate all of the advice I’ve received from this group as I feel my way around my 101 which I waited 35 years to finally own.  I’ve seen some discussion on Facebook regarding the crazy price paid for a  Bezel( yes it was crazy) and some comments about the repops out there for a 1930 headlight.  I have a 1930 101 without the correct upgraded headlight.  I’ve read the shop manual about the headlights, but still feel like I don’t quite get it all. Randy has reminded me that finding an original might take years and may never happen so I am considering one of the repops from Poland on eBay. I bought a few other items from them and they were pretty good quality but i just don’t know enough about the lights.  Is the shell supposed to be stamped motolamp? What exactly is a John brown headlight? I see on the repop it says John brown in the lens- is there more to it than that? Before I send $800 overseas ( although with all the crap in Ukraine I am hoping Poland stays safe) I’d like to educate myself …and wonder if there is a domestic source? I assume the larger can will fit on the same stalks as the 29 lamp fits on?

thanks for all of your help.  I feel very lucky to have this resource while learning about my bike.

Joel Castleman

• 31 Aug 2022 1:36 PM
    Reply # 12902635 on 12683068
    Anonymous
    I think it looks pretty good. Have to compare.
    1 file
  • 08 Sep 2022 12:18 PM
    Reply # 12911260 on 12683068

Sorry to say some people that put down a lot of time to replicate items does for some  unfathonable reason not make the parts exactly as original. Here's some examples of original stamps and bossings on shells and lights for 1930 and -31. Between 30 and 31 there can be some subtle difference in the height of the hump above the bezel, but I can't say for sure, it can be difference in manufacturing, presstools or such..

But...repro many times can be found with more than acceptable quality and finish and will fulfill it's task with honours until you find a usable original item...

9 files
    Last modified: 08 Sep 2022 12:38 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.