The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Rear Wheel Bearing Lock Washer?

• 23 May 2022 5:18 PM
    Message # 12791113
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

On my '29 Scout the "rear wheel bearing locking washer with tab to fit keyway" (#9 on page 40N of the R&O Manual) was previously bent down over the seal nut.  I know the steel locking washer on the front wheel is supposed to be bent over like this, but should it be bent on the rear wheel?

In the October 2016 WOW, Doug Strange wrote an article on wheel bearing adjustment.  In it he states "The rear wheel hub is a different beast.  It has no locking soft steel washer to ensure the bearing remains set."

So, should I bend the washer on the rear wheel bearing?

Thanks,

John

• 04 Jun 2022 6:54 AM
    Reply # 12805608 on 12791113
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Yes.

• 05 Jun 2022 8:54 AM
    Reply # 12806364 on 12791113

The ball bearing hub does not have a locking washer, every time the axle nut is loosened and chain is adjusted for instance, the bearing play has to be fine tuned with the thin locknut. It is very important to leave the bearings slightly loose to accomodate for expansion from heat buildup. First tighten to about 30 footpounds to seat the bearing, then loosen about a quarter turn or less, assembled you should by wiggling the top of the rim feel a small play, about 1/32" sideways.

With the Timken taper bearing hub there is a lock washer that can ensure that the bearing play remains set, if the washer is bent down properly over the seal nut. With the Timken the play at the top of the rim can be smaller than with the ball bearing but never fully tight or never larger play than 1/32".

Last modified: 05 Jun 2022 9:00 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.