The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

New owner

• 27 Nov 2022 6:19 AM
    Message # 13003925

G‘day all, ( yes I am from down under ) I have recently entered the vintage motorcycling fraternity with a 29 101 Scout . So happy to have finally got one.It has been fully restored mechanically and am assured that it runs with just the electrical to finish off ( I’m an electrician so not too phased about that) but my main concerne is getting my head around the oil pump before I dare start it! I have the manuals and have read a little about them on the 101 forum and now understand the mechanical function and now almost comfortable to kick it into life. I now know that I will require a test bolt to check correct oiling rate before I take it past the driveway front gate. Now to the point of how often do these pumps require overhaul / refurbishing / checking for correct operation and if there are any periodic checks that should be done to pick up on wearing components before total failure results ? This bike will not be an ornament.                                                                    Cheers   Radish

• 28 Nov 2022 9:03 AM
    Reply # 13004976 on 13003925
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Congratulations on your new ride. Pics of you and the bike would be great for the next magazine :) Also maybe a little history of you and the bike ??? Email me and editor Doug Strange.

The oil pump is more correctly an oil metering device, as there is no pressure feed. 

To start with, you should get used to religiously checking the oil level by removing the upper of the two plugs on the left hand lower side of the crankcase. This level plug defines the optimum level of oil to run your motor. Then you need to work out how much your oil pump is delivering, and adjust to your riding style. 

If you have the oil up to the level plug you should have enough oil in there for 10 or so miles before running short.

The screw below the oil line on the pump is an air bleed, if the line has been removed or tank emptied, this screwshould be removed and you should drain new oil into a cup to ensure no air bubbles blocking the line. I usually tap the line in various places with a screwdriver handle. You will often see a small string of bubbles appear in the oil. Once no more bubbles, replace the screw.

No real maintenance of pump, if it is working it is working. Remember the large end cap is a LEFT HAND THREAD if you choose to inspect.

The adjustment is via the screw to the front of the bike. Turn clockwise for less oil, anti clock for more. A little adjustment goes a long way, so don't go more than 1/8 or max 1/4 of a turn at a time before testing.

In an ideal world, you want to be draining just a little oil from the level plug after each run, but it my tke a while to get it set up to your riding style. Too little oil is expensive, but way too much is detrimental too, as it will create drag on the flywheels and overheat, so get used to checking regularly, initially at 25 or so mile intervals. building up to 50 as you get more confident. 

Bear in mind also that as your speed increases, so will oil consumption, so what is overoiling at 35 mph may be about right at 45, and too little at 55. Oil consumption tends to increase exponentially at the upper end of the scale, so if you run flat out ( 60-65 ) for a minute or two you will run dry. That is what the auxiliary hand pump is for.

It sounds like a bit of a fiddle, but it really isn't, it is quite an effective way of lubricating your motorcycle as long as you take time to understand it and adjust it to you motor and riding habits. Once set right it is generally good for a long time.

Last modified: 28 Nov 2022 9:05 AM | Tim Raindle (Administrator)
  • 02 Dec 2022 5:35 AM
    Reply # 13010509 on 13003925

Tim

Thank you sooo much for the valuable feedback. Not only is it very instructive, it is very easy to understand and I am now much more comfortable to undertake the process of enjoying my new (1929) ride.

If anybody else has any other useful information for novices such as myself, it would be very much appreciated and taken on board. 

I look forward to being able to buying you a beer some day in return for your generousity.

Cheers    
    Radish

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.