The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Scout 600ccm, 1930 modell

• 08 Jun 2023 10:41 AM
    Message # 13212552

My restored 600cc Scout, 1930, is now back on the road and I did some test rides. Now I have some questions because I am dissatisfied with the engine power:

1.) What compression pressure do I measure if cylinder/pistons/rings are in order?

2.) The engine runs smoothly and freely only within 20% (late ignition) of the entire adjustment range. I guess my ignitiontiming is a bit to early. The shop manual states 7/32" before TDC with full early ignition. Other sources speak of 0.3 - 0.35 inch. Experience has shown that what is the best?

3.) Do I have to drive the Scout 1930 with leaded gasoline so as not to damage the engine?

• 13 Jun 2023 5:49 PM
    Reply # 13214871 on 13212552

Sort out the timing issues as quickly as possible, something is wrong there. Try another magneto. With wrong timing and continous test rides trying to tweak various things the engine is at risk, either the valve seats, pistons or piston rings can be ruined regardless if you use leaded or unleaded gas. Leaded gas is always safer in our flatheads with cast iron seats but hard to get and expensive to run. The alcohol in unleaded should lower the combustion temperature if the timing is right because of the about 10 % greater fuel demand... run the carb a bit on the rich side until you know the engine. Me, at all the time used lead substitute but as my mag acted up it still ruined my valve seats badly.

A small dab of two-stroke oil in the gas won't hurt.

Fairest to say is that compression should be just about equal in both cylinders, with a new engine not run in, you won't have full comp. potential.

A leak-down test is showing where the largest blow-by is occuring and can catch a potential break down perhaps sooner. And the first test result, if noted down!, is setting a good bench mark for checking wear in the future. 

Last modified: 13 Jun 2023 6:12 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 14 Jun 2023 8:23 AM
    Reply # 13215064 on 13212552

Good advice but can one double check optimal advance timing by seeing that full retard is occurring at TDC? 

Yes on the leak-down test. I have had good fortune finding valve searing, guide, ring, and gasket issues on several motorcycles with a leak-down gauge. And such a gauge using compressed air to pressurize the cylinders is easier than trying to kick up normal operational cylinder pressure (only worked for me when an engine can turn over a while on an electric starter). Its a great diagnostic tool. However, you may find a leak-down kit's connection to the spark plug holes will need a custom fabricated brass angle adapter - these gauge kits are mostly designed for automobile engines with plenty of space above the sparkers.

• 16 Jun 2023 4:40 PM
    Reply # 13216294 on 13212552

Yes as Robert says, and if you use the magneto you have be sure to check timing on both cylinders, it shouldn't differ much. If it does the breaker cam is scrap. But inconsequent timing during run, and hard to tune the timing so the engine is running right can have other causes in a magneto, than a ignition cam.

The 37ci should start and run fine with a set and fixed timing of 7/32" or 5,5mm btdc per instruction on the earlier 37ci engines. Many runs fixed timing. But if you want to use the handle, at minimum advance, restrict travel at the lever so it does not ignite after top dead center. Not more than a mm atdc anyway, it can be difficult to adjust that to tdc exactly. The exhaust valve gets too hot with timing atdc.

Not often you need to tune the timing with the handle during run with a 37ci engine, just perhaps only to lower the idle speed when going into first gear from stand still. Other times always run on full advance.

With max advance of 7/32" the movement between max and min advance at the handle is so small so it is easy to forget and accidently run with ignition retarded so I would concider run fixed ignition on a 37ci if I can get a low and stable idle. With 5/16" or further advance the range is larger and in some occations (high load, low revolutions) the engine is labouring or running better if timing is adjusted at the handle.

I think! it was a bit earlier timing in the instructions on the later 37ci engines,  max 5/16" or 7,9mm, same as Prince and 45 Scout timing. Others may reply what timing they use.

Last modified: 18 Jun 2023 10:04 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 17 Jun 2023 3:37 AM
    Reply # 13216391 on 13212552
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

The Splitdorf Ns 2 magnetos were supplied with a small plate that attached to the body, and once fitted, stopped the ponts plate from being retarded to far. 

The easiest way to check timing is with the heads off, and measuring down the bore for the point at which the points open. There are devices available to do this with a test light  that do not require disconnecting the power feed to the points, or you can disconnect the feed and use a battery and bulb set up. I use a cigarette rolling paper between the points, gently pulling on the paper you can feel the paper start to slide as the points open and the pressure is released.

• 19 Jun 2023 5:32 AM
    Reply # 13216801 on 13212552

My 101 has HD flywheels with 101 rods , stroke is  3.8125 ,making about 820cc , magneto is off being serviced , any ideas of ignition timing BTDC ? 

• 20 Jun 2023 1:56 AM
    Reply # 13217278 on 13216801
    Ken Lee wrote:

My 101 has HD flywheels with 101 rods , stroke is  3.8125 ,making about 820cc , magneto is off being serviced , any ideas of ignition timing BTDC ? 

Hi Ken i set mine  (same as yours at 3/8" BTDC   but remember   a  few deg of  advance or retard can be gained by adjusting the points...Ive always carb and  Timing on the twist grip   going up an incline too feel where its best   then  decice what to do with Magneto  timing  

regards Phil

• 20 Jun 2023 5:19 AM
    Reply # 13217304 on 13212552
    Thanks Phil , I'll set the timing at 3/8ths and go from there , hope to get the mag back within a month (fingers crossed) . yes I know can play with the points gap and I always ride with both twist grips operating as needed . Playing with my '22 Chief at the mo trying to get that to start easily . Happy days all , Ken
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.