The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

generator drive oil leak

• 14 Jun 2023 12:56 AM
    Message # 13214994

All,

I rebuilt my generator drive with a new bushing and shaft turned to allow for 1 thousandth clearance. This should not leak but yet it has oil pouring out when I am riding the bike. The good news is that the generator fix worked and the bike charges great but I would like to stop the leak. Do I need to redo all this and install a proper oil seal or is there some modification that I can do like something about creating a drain hole for oil to more easily flow back into the gear case. I am using Lucas straight 50 weight motorcycle oil.

Any help would be appreciated.

28 scout 101 45 ci

Andrew

• 14 Jun 2023 3:59 AM
    Reply # 13215014 on 13214994

Hi , I had a big problem with the generator shaft leaking, I’ve bushed the casing and spiralled the inside of the bush so that the oil would come back inside the case. I’ve also blocked the hole on the top and drilled one on the bottom, sent me your email address and I’ll send you some photos! Cheers. Daniel 

• 14 Jun 2023 4:00 AM
    Reply # 13215015 on 13214994

dguillon@bigpond.com

• 15 Jun 2023 2:26 AM
    Reply # 13215548 on 13214994
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Also worth checking that the engine breather disc is working correctly. If it is blocked, or not functioning well, the motor can create a pressure build up internally that will vent whereever it can, mag drive and genny drive being easy ways out.

Also assuming oil level is correct ? Running the motor with too much oil in sump, or primary/trans will exasparate the issue.

An old school short term fix of a little hemp string wound loosely around the drive may stop serious leaks to the wheel after a while, but you would need to make sure that it doesn't snag on the shaft. Carefully done, it can seal up the leak nicely once soaked in oil and caked in dirt and grime. More of a bodge than a  cure, treating symptom not cause, but can work well. I did a similar fix on the road to a friends mag drive, which had a damaged case, using some plumbers hemp and a small piece of rag, and that was still sealing perfectly several years and several thousand miles later.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.