The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Fried battery

• 16 Jun 2023 6:57 AM
    Message # 13216049

After a short ride last night on my 1930 101 I noticed the horn/lights weren’t working on my way home.  It uses a 12v sealed lead battery I think intended for security/computers  that Randy Walker installed when working on the bike. It’s worked fine for a year and a half but when I got home and pulled the battery box the ground wire was fried bare and the battery was warped and kind of melted. The connecter was welded to the negative terminal (spade type). Before I just buy another $25 battery I’m wondering what your thoughts are on the cause and if another type of battery might be called for? Over the years I’ve heard of issues charging (or overcharging) these electronics batteries but am not sure if that’s the issue or not.   The good news is the bike starts and runs great (thanks Randy) the bad news is no lights or horn!

Any insights as to the issue and what other people

use for batteries, pros and cons, would be welcome.  Thanks 

Joel

Last modified: 16 Jun 2023 6:59 AM | Joel Castleman
  • 16 Jun 2023 5:25 PM
    Reply # 13216307 on 13216049

The batterys are subject to tremendous forces in the battery box, new batterys has thin lead and isolation sheets inside, and they break, fall apart and stock up at the bottom of the battery shell so most probably you have an internal short in your battery. I made a false bottom in the battery box that is sprung with 3 weak springs, about an inch above the floor and another spring on top, (conical springs from old car inside handles) soft foam tube at the sides! Jolts in a pot hole or on a dirt road is fierce where the battery sits.

2 files
    Last modified: 18 Jun 2023 9:30 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 17 Jun 2023 3:28 AM
    Reply # 13216390 on 13216049
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Joel, what generator aren you using ? Several years ago I installed a sealed lead acid battery on  a friends chief. On a long test ride the battery failed, and pulling over to the side of the road, I discovered the battery had blown up like a balloon, an the case was starting to crack. 

Turns out that generators with the original style mechanical voltage control will not stop overcharging completely, and the system will effectively control excess charging by boiling the battery a little. This is why so many battery boxes, trays and chaingurds on antique bikes are rotted with battery acid. A seled lead acid battery has nowhere to vent, so will distort and fail thru internal pressure from the acid producing gas. In the case of my friends chief, which was fitted with an original autolite , I suspect it was minutes away from exploding. 

The easy cure if this is the case is to fit a solid state voltage regulater. Gene Harper makes one such item that will fit inside the cap of a DU7. 

Adjustments can be made to lower the voltage of a three brush generator too, and using full running lights will help with a Splitdorf, the charging system only supplies lights and horn, so a fully working genny will boil a battery if lights are not used or the bike is run with led lighting.

Antonio esteves makes a repro DU7 generator  that comes with the solid state regulator. I do not recommend any of the alternator models designed to look like a Splitdorf, in my opinion they have too stron a pu on them for the generator drive mechanism.

Let us know how you go with your investigations.

Tim

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.