The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Forgotten knowledge

• 19 Aug 2023 8:55 AM
    Message # 13243027

Hey guys,

I'm working on Indian Motocycles for nearly 35 years right now and I'm afraid that when I'm gone all the small tips and tricks are gone forever as well.
    And I think many of you guys are in the same situation.

What do you think:
    Is it worth to create a topic where everybody can introduce homemade tools, tech tips or other specific technical topics that might be interesting?

And an additional thing, at least for me, is that I come from Europe and I'm used to have solutions for many problems that may not be common in the US, and I also believe that there are many buddies from all over the world who are exactly in a state like me. :-)

All the best

Manny

• 20 Aug 2023 9:12 AM
    Reply # 13243210 on 13243027
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Great idea , Manny. We should look at finding some way to collect all this knowledge together.  Maybe start here ? 

• 22 Aug 2023 2:15 AM
    Reply # 13243906 on 13243027

OK.
    Let's start with a very simple tool to align or true flywheels.
    Of course you still need a device where you can clamp the mounted crankshaft between two cones and some dial gauges.
    With one tool you can easily push the flywheels apart and with the other you can easily squeeze them together.
    That's smarter than with a lead hammer like Indian advices in their repair manuals.
    All parts that touch the flywheels are from aluminium to prevent scratches.

3 files
  • 27 Aug 2023 11:44 PM
    Reply # 13246458 on 13243027

I made a engine mount where you can mount the right hand case and assemble the entire engine in one go, and also mount and assemble the gearbox on the engine. 

7 files
    Last modified: 27 Aug 2023 11:51 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 09 Oct 2023 2:25 PM
    Reply # 13264938 on 13243027

Kia Ora, from New Zealand?

Manny you "Angel", you may have opened a flood gate here!. As with me, I'm sure there are people of my age/stage of life who, having asked & answered soooo many questions over the decades of their Loving application to reviving the early Indians, they are now also Right NOW wondering "If I die suddenly", who will capture & pass on my life-time of experience with these noble Machines for the future generations of those with an ".Indian Heart".

I'm near 70 & this question has been getting louder in my head with every passing year!. I'm surrounded by people just like US & I know that many are already asking this question too. I'm sure we would all jump at the chance to contribute to some form of Early Indian Encyclopedia of Technology.

We Gotta Save all this GOLD before its buried!. Regards from Louie Pooley

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.