The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Kick Start Crank Pin Removal

• 03 Dec 2023 9:18 AM
    Message # 13286318
    Anonymous

I have a 1928 Short Frame Scout with a very sloppy kick starter.  Took the kick starter off and checked the OD of the crank pin that presses into the frame and it is pretty worn.  I know these are a press fit into the frame boss but was wondering if anyone has experience at removing the pin?  I have the ability to turn a new pin and could make a good fit with the kick starter crank.  The retaining screw is not even in the frame boss but it is still tight.  I was thinking of fitting up a 3/8-24 bolt to a slide hammer and threading it into the pin where the grease fitting and the crank retaining nut fit.

Thanks,

Mike Ritchey

Acworth, GA 

• 03 Dec 2023 9:23 PM
    Reply # 13286506 on 13286318

Mike, I wonder if your casting is like the one on my '29 frame, you can access the pin from the backside?  

I had the advantage of not having to worry about paint so I could use some heat (not red hot), and then with the set screw out and the rear access I could introduce a lot of penetrating oil (over a few days), then put the heat to it and use a drift on the back side to drive the pin out.  Lots of strikes but didn't require an especially big hammer!

2 files
    Last modified: 03 Dec 2023 9:24 PM | Harry Roberts
  • 04 Dec 2023 4:21 AM
    Reply # 13286576 on 13286318

Hi, mine had been welded on to the frame, and when I removed it, I found that the frame boss was larger at the from than the back! I machined a new one from the workshop manual’s details and drilled a hole in it a bit forward of its correct holding bolt position , then shaped a cone on that bolt so that when you tighten the holding bolt, it forces the pin flange against the frame! It worked for me! I’ve sent photos to the club at the time.

• 04 Dec 2023 6:50 AM
    Reply # 13286600 on 13286318
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

If the pin is still a tight fit in the frame, you could shim/bush the kickstarter, altho the forces on the kicker may make this a short term fix. 

The pin in the frame is a serious press fit, about 0.0025". The existing pin can be driven out from the rear, after removal of the grub screw. Unusual to find external diameter worn and not have the pin loose in the housing, tbh. I usually have to ream the housing in steps to remove wear and belling, and then turn up a sample pin to a perfect fit. Then once I have correct dimensions, make a new pin oversize that dimension. Support the frame from behind, and drive the new pin in , needs a small sledge hammer drive home tightly, using a a heavy drift turned to fit and  protect the pin snugly.

If your pin is not loose in the housing, and the housing is not worn, check the dimensions of the old pin you have drifted out, and make the new one to match, but check the dimensions carefully, as previously stated, there is a lot of force applied thru the kicker and pin, and a loose fit will soon start moving around. The grub screw is not enough to hold the pin in place.

• 05 Dec 2023 6:00 AM
    Reply # 13287103 on 13286318

It's safer to drive out the pin because then you can use a piece of tube and heavy dolly to support the whole area around the kicker pin to avoid the casting to crack. It still can crack. I would be cautious to use a slide hammer to pull it out. Anyway I doubt 3/8-24 is going to hold up. Safest is to bush the kicker.

Maybe a puller can be made with welding on a large pinbolt on the kicker pin and a piece of tube? 

Make a tight grease fitting in the hole for the grub screw and apply grease at high pressure?

Last modified: 10 Dec 2023 7:59 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 05 Dec 2023 7:20 AM
    Reply # 13287123 on 13286318
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

" Safest is to bush the kicker."

Wise words indeed. If the pin is solid in the frame, that is gonna be by far the best option. If it was me, I would rather rebush the kicker once a year than knock the pin out. I have had to repair cracked castings a couple of times, and its not easy.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.