The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

New member saying Hello-just purchased a 1929 and wanted to say hi

• 10 Jan 2024 12:40 PM
    Message # 13299430

Always wanted a 101 and finally found one that I was able to purchase. Looking forward to getting to know some of you all and of course wearing the tires off my scout. I’m sure you’ll see me at some of the AMCA swap meets. 

• 10 Jan 2024 11:23 PM
    Reply # 13299695 on 13299430

Picture proof or it never happened! Just kidding but loved if you shared pictures of your new purchase, maybe with a little background history for the 101 paper!

• 11 Jan 2024 7:54 AM
    Reply # 13299770 on 13299430

Hello Leonard. Congratulations; you are going to have fun! I'm located only 3 hours drive from you below Cleveland, Ohio. 101's seem pretty scarce up our way. Seems like 99.9% late model HD's are the thing here. I ride, repair and maintain two 101's - one still attached to its original sidecar from when sold in 1931 by the Stockholm Indian dealer Wiklunds (pictured with a flag of Denmark, where my daughter lives, if it shows). I regretfully sold off all my old Chiefs (such beautiful, comfortable rides!) and decided on keeping the 101's as my vintage Indian rides (+ a 1913 Hedstrom, a stroked & bobbed 741 raced in Race of Gentlemen and a veteran survivor of the past AMCA Allegheny Mountain Chapter National Road Run in the heavy mountains of West Virginia, and a 57 ci custom build using Indian frame & various parts) because they are light, easy to fix, nimble & fun dynamic handling geometry, look pretty cool, and suit me as a now weak-kneed senior rider (73).  My 101's will be the last bikes remaining in my motorcycle shop (well, except maybe for the Ural retro and the Vespa 300). I'd meet and say hello in person but I can no longer drive to distant AMCA or other meets. I hope you find great roads to ride in your area. Pittsburgh and surrounding areas are the only geography I could not navigate without GPS! Pittsburg is hell to drive around - make a wrong turn and you end up on the other side of one of the rivers. As is said, the roads were built on cow-paths. For years I did work in downtown for the Allegheny County Port Authority and the City of Pittsburgh. You are welcome to visit. Trailer your 101 and we can ride. 

1 file
    Last modified: 11 Jan 2024 8:00 AM | Robert Lodge
  • 12 Jan 2024 12:20 AM
    Reply # 13300184 on 13299430

I purchased it from Bob Tramontin who is a retired Harley Dealer owner from Rockaway New Jersey. He purchased it years ago for his father as a present. His father subsequently passed  and left it back to him. He rode it for years and retired to Florida. He sold it to me last week and I couldn’t be happier. I’m currently doing some maintenance and tidying up some minor things then I’m gonna wear the wheels off of it. I ride alll my bikes and this one is fast becoming a favorite. 

5 files
  • 12 Jan 2024 7:52 AM
    Reply # 13300241 on 13299430

So nice! What's the generator? Looks like its been a "Toe-to-Go" I understand. First time I slow-speed slow-dropped my '48 Panhead due to split-second confusion I modified its clutch operation to work like the Indian-style that I'm used to. Not easy to go back and forth against learned behavior.  See:

https://bobsindians.blogspot.com/

And my 1928 101 came as a LH shifter and RH throttle like yours. Last year, after about 6 years of finding that uncomfortable I switched the bike to RH shift (finally found the part for that) and LH throttle (like all other Indians I had or have owned). Now only the Panhead LH shifter remains and that can not be changed to RH. I gave away my LH shifting transmission tower part to a guy in Sweden who wanted to convert his 101 to LH shift. 

Last modified: 12 Jan 2024 8:16 AM | Robert Lodge
  • 12 Jan 2024 8:24 AM
    Reply # 13300250 on 13299430

Robert Lodge, you have a sharp eye. I was more than thrilled to find this one “backwards “ with toe to go like Harley. All of my other bikes are vintage Harley’s so there won’t be any learning curve for the shifting and basic riding, I ride a lot. I don’t own any modern machines so even using a hand clutch bike for me gets confusing. I think I’ll stay with vintage the rest of my life. I’d love to take a ride over to Cleveland when the weather breaks and check out your machines. I go to most of the swap meets. Wauseon is on my schedule this year. I’m retired now so I have the spare time to meander around at will. 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.