The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

New guy

• 14 Feb 2024 11:46 AM
    Message # 13315422

Hello all, finally decided to join up,lurked around for a while but decided to pull the trigger and sign up. Have a 1930 scout I picked up years a go that was horriblely rough and in no way correct but I am working at it and trying to put it back more the way it should have been with a few upgrades to make it more rider friendly in this day and age.picture of progress so far but I like to ride it so I don't like to leave it tore down for long periods of time.

1 file
  • 15 Feb 2024 6:32 AM
    Reply # 13315877 on 13315422
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Welcome, Travis.  Good to have you aboard.  You'll find a wealth of information in the Members-Only section, and a lot of useful topics in past posts in this forum.  Let me know if you need any help navigating, or if you have any general questions about the Association.

John

Treasurer

• 15 Feb 2024 8:04 PM
    Reply # 13316368 on 13315422

Travis, you've got some interesting updates on your 101!  Looks like an alternator and also an early 40's oil pump with distributor...a couple handy upgrades!  Nice looking 101!

• 15 Feb 2024 9:54 PM
    Reply # 13316408 on 13315422

Thank you Harry, I do have the alternator on it so I can run 12v reliably plus a generator is really expensive for this. I do have the original pump and cam cover for it but seeing how these bike are getting hard to find parts for and more and more expensive I thought I would stick with a good oiling system because I love to ride the wheels off it and want it to last a long time without huge maintenance intervals..

• 17 Feb 2024 3:07 AM
    Reply # 13316914 on 13315422

Hi and welcome Travis!

One thing that, to me, pops out with your bike is the wrong geometry at the front rocker links. The reason for that can be several, but like that there is virtually no spring action remaining and the ride will be very rough and not pleasant as it should be on a 101.

When the bike is on its wheels by its own, the front rockers should be angeled up at least in line with the lower fender stay.

Some things needs to be checked out and measured on the front fork.

If you decide to ride with it as is check at least that the front wheel does not bind in the fender at max down suspension.

1 file
    Last modified: 17 Feb 2024 3:27 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 17 Feb 2024 11:55 AM
    Reply # 13317024 on 13315422

The fork situation has already been remedied,I had to get a wedge from Kent Thompson to bring it up to the correct height. The picture is a little old it's just the only one I have of it. It was a little precarious to ride like it was always bottoming out on bumps but I rode it like that for a while I just had to be aware of the situation.

• 25 Feb 2024 7:06 AM
    Reply # 13320484 on 13315422
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Travis, and welcome aboard. Been offline for a while, so catching up. Would be great to have a couple more pics and a short story ( or a long one) about your journey to get here with the bike, why, when , how you found it, a little about yourself as a rider, anything you would like to share, for an article for the print magazine. Doug Strange is starting to put together the next wow now, and we could do with any articles by mid march ideally. 

Email doth me and DOug a copy, so we have a back up, if possible. 

cheers,

Tim R

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.