The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

45 ci nipple sizes?

• 08 Sep 2013 3:21 AM
    Message # 1384095
    Deleted user
    Anyone have some ideas about all the different size intake nipples that indian used?  I am finding on the cylinders that I have amassed. I seem to find a size that is too big for the standard 101 manifold. What might be some of the different size intake nipples would they have altered through time? And what nipple size is recommended for use with the bigger bore size carb. IE (dlx55) and manifold?
    Thoughts?

Ryan
  • 09 Sep 2013 6:54 AM
    Reply # 1384716 on 1384095
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)
    37" scout has a smaller manifold than the 45 . Then the manifold changes to a slightly larger size again for the standard scout in the early thirties  , all three having the same size carb flange . Changed again for sport scouts .I think that none of the standard scout cylinders had a threaded exhaust port , not sure on this tho , early ones may have .
  • 10 Sep 2013 2:49 AM
    Reply # 1385510 on 1384095
    Deleted user
    Thanks Tim
    I will get back on the sizes in the diameter. 
    It seems like someone in some cases have changed out the intake threaded nipples to a larger size or I really have a set of 30's standard scout heads. The cylinders still have nickle and was thinking they were from the late 20's and that somewhere along the way someone had followed the old blueprint for tuning your scout 45" 101 Indian for performance as dated in the year 30' or 31'. In the drawing it points out that the intake nipples are to be machined to accept the larger chief intake nipples.  I have also heard rumors that there were rare cases that getting the larger carb setup was an option back then.
    I'll keep searching, but I think I am closing in on what is going on.
    I have been getting every nipple size that Indian made to have a better record.  I have two more sizes to show up and think I will have a better answer. We shall see.

Thanks
    Ryan
  • 11 Sep 2013 4:05 AM
    Reply # 1386315 on 1384095
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)
    Let us know what you come up with , Ryan. Could make a good article for the club mag . 
  • 18 Sep 2013 12:11 AM
    Reply # 1391941 on 1384095
    Deleted user
    Cool 
    I will follow up and let you know.
    Thanks
    Ryan

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.