The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Reproduction Chassis

• 11 Nov 2014 10:07 AM
    Message # 3147470

What are people's opinions on the reproduction frames and chassis components that are available? Trying to see if it is worthwhile to import a complete rolling chassis from Europe. Has anyone dealt with components from Hecker or Steen Tonnesen from Indian Parts Europe to build a bike? Basically all I would be starting with is a complete engine. Part of the reason I want to build with reproduction parts and not originals (at least with the chassis components) is that I am definitely building a rider and I'd rather not roll the dice with rehabing possibly trashed original components that would probably end up being close to the same price of new components once restored.

• 12 Nov 2014 1:23 AM
    Reply # 3148020 on 3147470
    Anonymous

HI Scott.  Its great you asked this question as I am in the same situation as you.  Hopefully someone will be able to comment for us both.

• 12 Nov 2014 8:27 AM
    Reply # 3148138 on 3147470
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi guys, good question. 

The reproduction frames and forks are certainly useable, but not perfect accurate reproductions,I believe the lugs etc do not have the same casting numbers and certain other small features. I have seen one or two that are twisted, and have never had one in our frame jig . Note that a reproduction frame in some countries, notably the UK , mean that the bike should legally be registered as a modern vehicle, and will not have the same inherent value as an original Springfield machine.

If you want to build a rider, there are a lot of guys riding around Europe on them, many of whom do not even realise they have a repro frame. IPE and Hecker generally have very good quality parts too.

If you do repair an old frame, make sure the guy doing the work understands that you cannot weld on the bronze spelter, read the shop manual.

Look forward to hearing other opinions.  Carl-Erik ?

• 12 Nov 2014 11:53 AM
    Reply # 3148317 on 3147470
    Deleted user

We have emailed IPE asking about various parts for the 101 Scout that they manufacture. I got an email back from him and he was a very nice guy, very willing to give me information about his parts. They seem very knowledgeable and I do think that there parts are very good quality. I have been considering using the 101 scout reproduction fenders he offers for the 1929 Indian 101 Scout customer project bike we have in our shop for complete restoration. As far a original 101 Scout frames, I do see them listed on eBay quite often so check there and you might find what your looking for. I check eBay every day for parts for on going restoration projects here in the shop and have had good results finding original parts for vintage Indian motorcycles.

• 13 Nov 2014 9:06 AM
    Reply # 3149092 on 3147470

I can't say anything about the quality of the repro frames or fenders as I have not seen or had a hand on them myself.

My opinion is that I think this 101 bike is so fun to ride and own that I would not mind having an all repro bike. However, everybody have their own reason to get involved in this hobby. It includes all kinds of decisions, economical, available free time, and what direction the individual wants to take with the end product. Is the bike a tinker hobby, for display, occational use, extensive use or a money investment/transaction deal or what?

Most that start with a restauration is governed by feelings and really unrealistic aspirations in many cases. One big underestimation is the time it takes. It takes time to find a detail, and if you already have it, it still takes time to repair or restore that detail and it takes time to make the right finish, and more time to assemble, adjust and tune the detail to work on the bike. I haven't counted but I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than 2000 details on a 101. And this is absolute certain -All and every part, even the tiniest little washer will take time to fettle with. And storage space.

Very few can dedicate the time it takes, or have all the skills that is needed to restore all details, may it be material selection, fabricating, machining, welding, tin work, magneto/ electric, painting, plating, leather work. For that it takes to have the facilitys and an array of the right materials, chemicals, tools, machines, jigs with all the space that is taking up. So most likely you need contacts in multiple professions.

Another major underestimation people do is the time it takes to collect the money needed. The poorer object, the more money you need. Make a extensive calculation, take the time and most important, be true to yourself. A repro can be cheaper in the end and get you on the road faster. It is a screwed market where objects are expensive and restored examples mostly doesn't cover the total cost.

Usable parts on the net, among friends, aquaintances and contacts is not enough to fill the needs of all 101's out there. So, one can say we are depending on a few that want to fabricate spare parts for our 101.

Mind that fabricators also all have their own different reasons to get involved in this hobby. Interest, time at hand, special skills, excess machining or shop capacity and sometimes but rarely profit outlook.

Fabrication assembly and quality is so depending on the individuals that is making these parts, for using the right material, right measures, right finish and a proper quality control. Usually he is alone in the shop. And there is a very small margin or such small production that the margin have a hard time to carry the cost. On top of that advertisment and distribution has to work.

Because of the small market, and individually small production, one or a few slips in that chain, nothing or only bad feedback could be enough to make the fabricator loose interest and stop making parts.  Or he might be at age or even wander off to a distant pasture.

So, buy when time is, don't count on parts available forever. Make the fabricator a friend of yours. Give ample and correct feedback, return if not satisfied. With repro you can free yourself from the nitpicking original detailing that plague many of the restaurations, takes time and cost multum. Really hinder you from having fun on the road with the bike. When you lean down, sweep through a corner and twist the throttle to feel the thump of the engine revving up to the next corner ahead of or chasing that HD, that's where the fun is in my opinion.

So what is my thoughts of the repro frames and other stuff?  I can accept it when spare parts is same or better than original as for example moving parts in the engine, but it becomes complex when I find repro visible stuff selling as originals, that is fraudulent.

In the case of registring a bike with a repro frame, In the eyes of the government I think a 101 frame should be regarded not more than just a spare part. They don't need to know more, if even that. But when you are selling the bike, the buyer has to know the truth. And I think the repro frame and other key parts should have a distinctive sign that differ it from original, like the details Tim is mentioning. 

Last modified: 13 Nov 2014 9:36 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 14 Nov 2014 10:39 AM
    Reply # 3151456 on 3149092
    Carl-Erik Renquist wrote:

I can't say anything about the quality of the repro frames or fenders as I have not seen or had a hand on them myself.

My opinion is that I think this 101 bike is so fun to ride and own that I would not mind having an all repro bike. However, everybody have their own reason to get involved in this hobby. It includes all kinds of decisions, economical, available free time, and what direction the individual wants to take with the end product. Is the bike a tinker hobby, for display, occational use, extensive use or a money investment/transaction deal or what?

Most that start with a restauration is governed by feelings and really unrealistic aspirations in many cases. One big underestimation is the time it takes. It takes time to find a detail, and if you already have it, it still takes time to repair or restore that detail and it takes time to make the right finish, and more time to assemble, adjust and tune the detail to work on the bike. I haven't counted but I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than 2000 details on a 101. And this is absolute certain -All and every part, even the tiniest little washer will take time to fettle with. And storage space.

Very few can dedicate the time it takes, or have all the skills that is needed to restore all details, may it be material selection, fabricating, machining, welding, tin work, magneto/ electric, painting, plating, leather work. For that it takes to have the facilitys and an array of the right materials, chemicals, tools, machines, jigs with all the space that is taking up. So most likely you need contacts in multiple professions.

I'm glad you see my point of view Carl-Erik. Being only 26 years old I do not have all the resources to simply buy a complete restored 101. And I also do not have the option to buy a project bike. And being 2014 there are not a whole lot of options anymore. Parts are drying up and if replica parts are available for the same price, I would probably go that route.

Also I feel I would be much more apt to ride and truly enjoy a bike with all the feel and looks of an original far more than a actual original bike. I am under the impression that is not fraudulent or improper to own and ride a replica motorcycle as long as it is fully disclosed as an reproduction. But I also feel that the a bike is not a complete 'replica' if you are using at least some original components. As we know the 101 motor is a motor all it's own. There's no faking it. It is very easy to mistake other bikes with incorrect motors for originals. I have noticed this especially with Triumphs. I feel that an original motor is the soul of a bike. Everything else can be replaced, but nothing will replace a completely original motor. If you build a 101 Scout with all replica parts, except the motor, I would still consider it something of an original. Obviously for bike shows, Concours events, and sale purposes, this is not the case. I was having a discussion about this the other day with a Concours selection committee that you would be VERY hard pressed to find any truly original cars and especially motorcycles from before WWII. Something has always been replaced, repaired, repainted, something. So where do you draw the line with an original? All the restored bikes on here I would regrettably have to put in the same category. They have been tinkered with at some point in their existence. And if you've replaced gas tanks, or the front forks, or the seat leather, or a fender, or the floorboard rubbers, or swapped a damaged frame, or assembled a bike from 'original' parts, is it still original? I would like to see the number of 101 Scouts out there that are 100% original with all original matching components.

With regards to actually building the bike I'm planning on building, I would feel much better about bringing out and riding a 'replica' than an original. If it got a nick, or a scratch, or even got into an accident, I would be upset, but not nearly as devastated as if an original machine were damaged. And it's also more about bringing these bikes out and showing them off to people who might otherwise not know these bikes. I am a big proponent of not hiding rare and special bikes in collections, as I have some myself.

But lastly, I would always feel bad about constantly bringing out a machine built from totally original components. I know if I owned a 101 (original or not) I would be riding it all the time. I know for myself it would be a much more enjoyable experience if it could be care free, knowing that if something happened to the machine, not much is lost from a historical point of view.

However, I digress. First, I have dealt with long term projects before. I have a 1969 Triumph Bonneville that I am finishing up currently that has been apart since the summer of 2009. So I am well aware of the time and difficulty involved in building a bike and waiting for just the right parts to come along. Second, a big issue for me is the costs. I do not have $15,000-30,000 to invest in a complete or complete project 101. It's just not an option. And third, I would feel much better working with new components and being able to build exactly what I want, without the moral dilemma of modifying an original bike. One option I want that is different than most bikes would be sport handlebars. Also the motor I have sourced is a 1929, but I would want to fit a John Brown headlight to my bike. I know this is not correct, and with an original machine I may pressure myself to make it correct with a small headlight. With a replica I can do what I want. While all the modifications I want to make are very easily reversed, I would prefer to not be tampering with something that should be kept original. Believe me, I am also a stickler for keeping original machines original. With my Bonneville I am not touching the exterior in any way. It is 100% original down to the paint, low bars, and alloy fenders as it is a Euro spec bike from Canada. I would NEVER restore a completely original bike. These days original Triumphs are becoming increasingly hard to find as everyone has taken them and made doll job restorations out of them. Better than originals. Personally, I find it disgusting. But that's just me.

But the biggest issue for me, is that I do not want to spend large amounts of money for 80 year old pot metal that may not be usable or survive restoring, or if it does, may not survive being on a motorcycle again for very long. And I would rather not spend thousands of dollars for original rusted frames and fenders that have to be inspected, repaired, straightened, and painted when there are brand new, clean, ready to paint pieces made of quality controlled modern steel. We can all agree, steel may have been more pure back in the day, but metallurgy, casting, and machining was not what it is today. I would feel much safer on a 'brand new' frame and fork set than a hobbled together/rehabilitated original.

But please, don't take this rant as a knock on original bikes or restored original bikes. They are always better. They will always be better. They are the real deal. I cannot argue with that. But with the prices of parts and incomplete or unrestored equipment going through the roof, there are very few options from a cost standpoint to build a rider that make sense anymore. And I feel that the amount of riding I'll be doing with it, it would be much easier and safer to work with fresh equipment that originals.

That being said, I would still love to hear from anyone else who has dealt with these companies that make replica components, or have built bikes like the one I am planning on building.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • 19 Nov 2014 12:12 PM
    Reply # 3154476 on 3147470

To anyone who is interested in this subject, I spoke with Moen from Indian Parts Europe yesterday. He has ceased production of almost all 101 and early Scout parts. He has moved on to strictly work with 741 and later Chief parts, and said he will finally be updating his website soon to reflect that. He said he will continue doing engine work, but that will be all he will be working with regarding 101's.

• 22 Nov 2014 9:37 PM
    Reply # 3156332 on 3147470
    Anonymous
    I am sorry to hear that, I was very impressed with Moen's early Scout stuff. I almost bought one of those frames, looked very good I thought.
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.