The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Two Right Side Flywheels

• 18 Dec 2014 3:43 AM
    Message # 3172283
    Anonymous

Hi All,
    Has anyone run 2 right side original flywheels before without drilling the oil gallery in the one to be used on the pinion side? I’ve chatted to a few people and have read Jim Parkers article which say they drilled side always cracks (hence why I guess I have two right side flywheels). A number of people have also expressed there doubts that crankcase vacuum will ever draw oil through this gallery. I also understand the gallery was a new feature on the 101’s. Previous Scouts didn’t have this gallery. I’m hoping running the 2 right side flywheels is a low risk option. If not I guess I’ll need to reconsider my options.

Best regards,

Ashley

Custodian of EGP881

• 19 Dec 2014 3:38 AM
    Reply # 3172902 on 3172283
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Truett and Osborn will sell you a pair of solid flywheels  , set up for 101s , (2 rhs , one drilled, drive side taper depth adjusted for 101s) for around $350 . They make up well too . 

• 06 Jan 2015 6:28 AM
    Reply # 3181848 on 3172283
    Anonymous

Thanks Tim, I'll fire an email off to them and see what they come back with.

• 09 Jan 2015 8:32 PM
    Reply # 3187128 on 3172283

Tim has the best advice, new steel flywheels is many many times safer than old flywheels. However, running with two RH flywheels that already has the oil channel drilled would not meet any particular problems at all. I don't know if you really mean running with two Left Hand flywheels that does not have the oil channel drilled? Well it is possible to run two LH wheels but not really recommended. The reason for the oil channel is to provide a better lubrication to the rod bearing. How much oil that is transported via that channel is a matter of debate, but the air opening and pulsating crankcase pressure makes it easier for the oil mist to find a way in to the bearing. It might be the case that you have found an earlier crankshaft in your engine! All earlier Indian engines (except the ACE) did not have any flywheel drilling and thus had simple splash lubrication for the rod bearing, but the oil distribution and ventilation was a bit different in those engines. Oil was dripped directly in to the crankcase compartment and air and oil mist flowing into the cam compartment. On the 101 the oil is dripping into the cam compartment and the mist of air/oil is directed in to the crankcase. I am almost certain that for fair weather and light use the oiling would be sufficient with a undrilled RH flywheel, but with care and a bit of presicion, drilling that cannel is no real problem to do for a reasonable experienced machinist. But New steel is way safer. A broken flywheel can put a serious dent in both your wallet and your nose.

Last modified: 09 Jan 2015 8:43 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 12 Jan 2015 7:05 AM
    Reply # 3189765 on 3172283
    Anonymous

Thanks Carl-Erik. You are indeed right. I did mean two left flywheels. I was trying to remember which side the timing chest was on (to remember the opposite non-oil gallery side) as I wrote the message and obviously got it wrong. I've looked into T&O's as per Tim's suggestion and will most likely go with these. Unfortunately I won't be getting them for the great price that Tim mentioned in his earlier post but I'm reasonably happy all the same.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.