The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Glyptal

• 18 Jan 2015 4:24 PM
    Message # 3203467
    Deleted user

Wondering if I could get your thoughts on coating the inside of the Engine/Transmission with Glyptal. Should it be done? or stay away from it?

Thanks

Dave

• 20 Jan 2015 6:07 AM
    Reply # 3205294 on 3203467

Noone else seems to be here on the forum.... Hello!!

I vote stay out! All old castings are oil saturated and even if you boil it out, there's a risk of the paint to flake.

If you choose to do it anyway, and the factory did it in some later engines, just use very thinned paint and dry it in an oven. The purpose is only to have the pigments to fill a porous casting to avoid leakage... but do you have a pore in the casting? Paint was used in racing motors to help oil run back to the sump, but that is for engines on circle tracks and the effect is so marginal and not a factor in the Indian engine for several reasons.

Last modified: 20 Jan 2015 6:15 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 21 Jan 2015 8:48 PM
    Reply # 3206747 on 3203467
    Deleted user

Carl, You are right. You are the lone wolf on the forum. I am going to go with your thoughts. My castings look great. I have had people say to do it but I am leery  of putting paint into the oiling system. Just one more thing to go wrong with the engine or put doubt in your mind. Hey they are supposed to leak a little. Thanks for your thoughts and help. With any luck I will have my bike on the road next fall

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.