The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Rear Hub

• 25 Jan 2015 12:48 PM
    Message # 3209647

I am in need of a new (or old)  rear hub for my 101 (1929). The old one has had the chain sprocket welded on by some previous un-thinking owner. (He obviously did not worry about replacing spokes or the sprocket !!)

I have a good friend with excellent machining facilities, who could make a new one from a drawing, out of a billet of steel.

Does anyone possess such a drawing ? I would like to get the new hub made before I tear the old wheel to pieces.

I can see the ends of the timken taper bearings when looking in the ends of the hub. Should they normally be protected with an oil seal or dust cover ?

I live in hope, not desperation
    Mike..

• 26 Jan 2015 3:42 AM
    Reply # 3210001 on 3209647
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Mike , there is a set of felts and dust covers that fit the bearings, the correct sizes are essential to fit over the internals and nuts without the felts getting chewed up by the bearings. Randy sells them.  If you are buying used,  make sure that the hub is not worn  by the sprocket  , most are. Also check the threads are not stripped. if you want an accurate reproduction of an original,  look at Randys repro hubs.  The Reno hubs are machined to fit modern bearings, so if you got one from them you would need to buy the complete rear hub assembly with brake parts.  The shop manual has some good drawings of both the hubs and the seal arrangement. 

Let us know what solution you come up with. 

Tim

• 01 Feb 2015 1:47 AM
    Reply # 3215040 on 3209647
    Deleted user

Reno indian of CZECh republic sells a complete rear hub and brake for 1929

scouts

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.