The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

"Dialing In" DLX51

• 27 May 2015 12:53 PM
    Message # 3359076
    Deleted user

I reviewed the video on carb adjustment (very helpful).  My only question is are the adjustments made with spark advanced or retarded or somewhere in between?  My carb was too lean and backfiring on the fast circuit making me want to dial it in as well as check the idle circuit, which was also set lean.  Once I reset needles to 2 turns on fast circuit and 3 turns on idle, where do you set the spark?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Bart

• 28 May 2015 2:17 AM
    Reply # 3359897 on 3359076

Dial it so you have normal idle with full advance. When you get crisp response  from dialing the needles, adjust idle revs with the butterfly stop screw. When you want really low idle say when you want to shift into first gear, you retard the ignition fully. With a warm engine, healthy magneto, fine tuned, the motor should run fine at very low idle with fully retarded ignition, but it is weak and can stall easily.

Running the engine for a long time with very low idle is not good as the cylinders is at risk of not getting enough lubrication.

Normal is to ride with full advance, but you have to be sensitive in hot weather or low revs with high load, up hills and such and reduce the advance a bit in order to not overheat the engine. Riding fully retarded can as example be used braking with the motor downhill.

Last modified: 28 May 2015 2:36 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 28 May 2015 10:01 AM
    Reply # 3360262 on 3359076
    Deleted user

Thanks so much for the answer Carl!  I'll do it as you suggest.  On a side note, is there a preferred grease you use?  my bike was updated to modern zerk fittings, but didn't know if the typical Mobil auto grease that i have loaded in my gun is right or wrong.  I saw reference to Lubriplate, but i thought that was lithium.  it's no problem to switch, just didn't want to do anything bad.

Thanks again for the help!

Bart

• 29 May 2015 5:18 AM
    Reply # 3361619 on 3359076

A good choice is Heavy machinery or Marine grease with a lot of stickiness, rust inhibitors and water repellant for the bearings. In the hubs inevitably it will be some condensation moisture and head bearings are semi open to the enviroment. (Smear the inside of hubs and axles with a coat of grease)

For the front links and really most all other grease points on the 101 it is  steel shaft against steel bushes and that has different requirements compared to bearings. Extreme pressure (EP) performance is needed for the vibrations and slow movement in those joints. Some solid lubricant innit will protect even if the oil film breaks down.

Here's an example that might suit both requirements, but molybden and graphite -damn good but damn dirty and will soil everything.

http://www.skf.com/group/products/lubrication-solutions/lubricants/high-viscosity-grease-with-solid-lubricants/index.html

Here's a yellow/amber variant that is particular good for false brinelling that is an issue in Indian head bearings and ball bearing hubs, but also has EP performance. 

http://www.skf.com/group/products/lubrication-solutions/lubricants/wind-turbine-blade-and-yaw-grease/index.html

Last modified: 29 May 2015 6:50 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 29 May 2015 10:50 AM
    Reply # 3361883 on 3359076
    Deleted user

Carl,

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

Best,

Bart

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.