The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

750 cylinder heads & barrels?

• 09 Jun 2015 4:19 AM
    Message # 3380051
    Anonymous

I'm looking to add a few more ponies to my 600.

Has anyone had experience with current reproduction 750 cylinder heads & barrels they can share? Actually any info on the conversion process would also be welcomed.

• 11 Jun 2015 10:13 AM
    Reply # 3383093 on 3380051

It's funny but I have heard no complains about the 101 cylinders that Greg Hutchinson is pouring up for us in, what is it, 15 years now? When I bought a pair, now that it is some time ago, I asked him about the cast iron mix and he was using a blend that is common in heavy duty diesel machines, harder than normal. The cylinders I bought are impossible to distinguish from original and it is very nice to have all fins intact, no rust pits anywhere, crisp threads all over, standard size bore and pristine valve seats!

Nickel coating is by nature quite thin and if you ride in all weathers you have to count on that rust can evolve especially at the very hot spots, heads and exhaust stub. It's the same with most paints.

The 37ci is a lot smoother and feels almost like it is just buzzing along where the 45 is a bit hasher and vibrate a bit more. But I like the added power of a 45. In earlier threads I aired my opinion about a 50ci conversion.

The 37ci crankcase is easy to adapt for the 45 cylinders, it is only the cylinder spigots that is a bit larger on those. The driveshaft, pinionshaft and crank bearings are the same in both engines. And of course everything in the cam and and clutch compartments are the same. And the same carb can be used on both engines.

Flywheels, crankpin, rods and rod bearings, pistons and piston pins, cylinders, heads, valves and valve springs, intake and intake nuts are of different dimensions.

The conversion is very easy done with a complete top end and a complete lower end. Just enlarge the spigot holes, shim the new crankshaft for proper sideplay, bolt on the new cylinders and intake and soon you're off to go! That's in theory, depending on what your plans are, your resources and what you are able to buy ready to assemble.

Be aware that the caged bearings that sometime is supplied or found on the net as replacements for originals has been reported to disintegrate. I don't know the background or frequency of failure, but still a matter of concern. High quality NEW original style, loose steel cages, from a well reputed supplier are not failsafe either, but a better choice in my opinion. Cages that are worn adds to friction and heat in the bearing. Old cages often can be found warped or with a prong bent.

Old or weak valve springs should not be reused, it'll wear the seats rapidly when the valves are bouncing. They are subjected to a lot of heat that may soften them. If you can't check them in a spring tester then it is better to change springs for new at every valve service.

Another improvement is the new plastic rings for the intake. They don't need to be torqued as hard as the brass originals and that lessens the risk substancially of dislocating the nipple in the cylinder. Trust me on that...

Last modified: 11 Jun 2015 10:47 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 29 Aug 2015 12:52 PM
    Reply # 3501215 on 3380051
    Deleted user

Does any one know the email address to get ahold of Greg Hutchinson ? I am interested in his 101 Fly wheels as well as these cylinders your talking about. Thanks, Dave Helton 

• 30 Aug 2015 7:16 PM
    Reply # 3502532 on 3380051

His address is hheroess@bigpond.net.au. He is not only selling cylinders. You can find what he is selling and address in both the paper issue and here on this site in the web issue of the WOW under "Publications" and in the Members only section under Newsletters.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.