The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

No Third Gear 1928

• 17 Jun 2015 10:26 AM
    Message # 3390337
    Deleted user

I've been sorting out my 28, and realize third gear doesn't engage on my bike.  Shift clicks nicely from 1st/neutral/2nd but no click into third.  the lever goes down into the third gear position, but no engagement.  I've been looking at the drawings and parts diagram and I think i understand how it should mesh.  Before I start to open the case, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bart

• 18 Jun 2015 3:10 AM
    Reply # 3391384 on 3390337

First of all, to engage third gear the engine or rear wheel needs to be turned a little bit to and fro in order to be sure that the dogs does not engage. It is quite tight play in the dogs so they don't slip in automaticly.

If third gear still does not engage, you can peer into the gearbox through the shifter tower and watch the slider gear dogs whether they engage the third gear or not. It takes just a very small distance travel for the 90 degree lever (20 B 5) down there, between a failure to engage or engage.

If third gear still doesn't click into position with the 90 deg. lever touching the lid tower at its end of travel, the selector fork (20 C 8) could be bent. Might possible be felt with the shift stick as a early engagement of the first gear.

Both ends of the 90 deg. lever can be inspected when the gear is in 3rd position. The fingers on the lever should fit the selector pin quite snug. And the long shifter lever (28 B 79) -you just removed- should fit the other fingers quite snug, with just a small play.

A long shot could be if the 90 deg. lever would be bent downwards OR if the nut on the top of the lid is loose. If that is the case the 90 deg. lever could touch the top of the gearbox housing and prevent enough travel for the third gear to engage.

Another, but common problem is a sloppy or sheared location pin (28 B 81) for the long lever/shift stick shaft (28 B 80). There is tremendous forces at play on that pin. A worn pin is felt by a large slack in the shift stick.

If all checks out, third gear engages and it still feels a bit funny, check that the chain sprocket hasn't come loose! A very useful tip that could save a lot of grief and money is to use a safety screw and washer on the sprocket to secure that the sprocket nut stays tight!

Last modified: 19 Jun 2015 1:10 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 18 Jun 2015 9:37 AM
    Reply # 3391637 on 3390337
    Deleted user

Carl,

As always, i can't thank you enough for this.  i'll get to work on it and report back my findings.  I'm suspicious of the slack in my shifter since it's quite large.

Best,

Bart

• 19 Jun 2015 1:10 AM
    Reply # 3392617 on 3390337

The pin only removes in one direction. Tap and drift it out on the end that (bavel, bavel cutting, chamfer, splay) or whatever it is called, -that end a flat is ground on the pin. The flat is precisely ground at a shallow angle. The pin diam. is 5/16" (7,94mm)

Last modified: 19 Jun 2015 1:33 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 23 Jun 2015 10:02 AM
    Reply # 3400530 on 3390337
    Deleted user

As a follow up, turns out the issue is the shifter itself (35d21).  I can rotate the shifter about 1/2 inch up or down at any point, without moving 28b79 itself.  At some point, i'll have to figure a way to tighten the fit between the two parts.

Thanks for all the tips!

Best,

Bart 

• 24 Jun 2015 2:15 AM
    Reply # 3401605 on 3390337
    Apart from making a new hardened pin, in order to make the shifter totally slack free, the ground trace in the shifter shaft needs to be corrected by regrinding it flat, because the trace has been made slightly convex ( from the pin wear and great load on the edges.
  • 02 Jul 2015 3:22 PM
    Reply # 3417136 on 3390337
    Deleted user

Carl,

Thanks for this.  that's exactly correct as far as i can tell.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

btw,  thanks for the info on Hecker.  I'm on his list for the next batch of forks.

Best,

Bart

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.