The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

1928 Fork Length

• 23 Jun 2015 10:27 AM
    Message # 3400557
    Deleted user

During my handlebar changeout project, it became apparent that my head fittings are not like page 25 & 26 of the shop manual.  Specifically, my head does not have a crown nut shaped like a cone, rather its has a flat nut at the top of the head about 3/8" high.  The current fork extends flush to this nut when the bars are installed, but would not extend high enough if the correct crown nut were installed.  To confirm that my fork is incorrect, does anyone have the length measurements for a 1928 fork?

Thanks for any help.

Bart

• 24 Jun 2015 12:59 AM
    Reply # 3401535 on 3400557

Hi Bart,

If you Google  http://www.indianriders.co.uk/Leaf-Spring%20Forks.htm this should give you a drawing of the fork lengths for the various models.

I don't know how accurate the drawings are but it should give you an idea .

My forks are out of the frame at the moment, so I can give you all the upper end dimensions, but as the lower end has been "got at" I can't help you much there.

• 24 Jun 2015 2:54 AM
    Reply # 3401628 on 3400557
    Many times the threads has become worn from riding with a loose upper race or crown nut. So it could be that somebody cut the damaged part off and used a later version race and crown nut. Or your crown nut could be a part of a steering damper?

If you decide to repair be sure to check the crown tube (edit:fork stem) weld to the spring seat and perhaps change the tube in full instead of trying to extend the one that is sitting there. George routinely checks the fork stem in a press/pull jig and found that some of them breaks off the weld really easy.....

The fork stem on the fork that I have here extends 203mm (8") long from the race seat. The 101 fork leg is -about- 678mm (26.7") from top to bottom, and about 666mm (26.2") to C/C pivot hole measured with an old foldable ruler on a very used fork! The Indian riders drawing of the Chief fork shows 26.5" to C/C of the pivot hole. It could be the same as a new 101 fork, or not -or within manufacturing tolerances. I can't check that up.

It is kind of important that the fork stem extends above the handlebars and that the crown nut is tight, because the handlebar clamping of the fork legs and anchoring with the fork stem is very essential to stabilize the fork.

Last modified: 28 Jun 2015 3:02 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 24 Jun 2015 11:04 AM
    Reply # 3402214 on 3400557
    Deleted user

If i had to guess, i would say that at some point mine has been cut on top as Carl mentioned.  The crown tube on my fork only extends about 1" above the top of the upper head tube and is secured with a flat nut about 3/8" high.  This is causing clearance problems for the wiring on the dash since it contacts the frame tube on top of the tank.  

My goal is to restore this to the proper factory specs.  Any leads into who has a 101 fork for sale?

Thanks again for all the help.

Bart

• 27 Jun 2015 3:10 AM
    Reply # 3406696 on 3400557

Hi Bart,

I make the length of the fork stem to be  8  5/8" from top of thread to top surface of the leaf spring.

Mike.

• 29 Jun 2015 9:32 AM
    Reply # 3408420 on 3400557
    Deleted user

Mike,  thanks for taking the time for the measurement.  much appreciated.  From what I can tell, my fork appears to have been trimmed at the top at some point in its past.  i'm on the hunt for a new fork now.

Best,

Bart

• 01 Jul 2015 4:40 AM
    Reply # 3415312 on 3400557

Hi Bart,

If only the top stem of the forks is wrong, could you just get this replaced with a new one by someone like George Yarokie in the USA or Hecker in Germany ? That would save you a lot of hard earned cash !!

Mike.

• 02 Jul 2015 3:15 PM
    Reply # 3417131 on 3400557
    Deleted user

Mike,

I have been in touch with Jurgen for the past few days and he is going to put me on the list for a new fork when he builds the next batch.

Big thanks to you and Carl for your help and recommendations on my bike!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.