The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Lacing a drum braked front wheel

• 03 Jul 2015 4:14 AM
    Message # 3417584

This might be of interest to anyone who is going to lace up the spokes on a 1929 front wheel.

I checked with the RO  and it told me that the main point is to start fitting the spokes into the hole in the brake drum side that lines up with the holes in the small flange. Ok, so I then had 20 nice new spokes in the equally nice new rim that I bought from Randy. This is the point where I started to tear out my hair. (what is left of it anyway ) The brake drum side of the hub was filled with the 20 spokes. When I went to fit the next spoke on the smaller hub side I then found to my amazement that is was nearly 1/2" too short !! At first I thought that the rim must be punched wrong, but on comparing new with old, all was identical.

I then went back to basics and re-checked that all important start position for the first spoke. It did not line up as it should. Only a fraction out but it was wrong. So I then stripped out the spokes and started again. This time it worked ok and now the wheel is complete with 40 new spokes.

Now I still cant get my head round the fact that the 20 holes on one side do not line up as you would think with the other side 20 holes, if all holes are drilled concentrically and equally round the rim. Perhaps GY could explain the theory here ?

Another tip when lacing the wheels is to protect the paint on the rim with masking tape to avoid the spokes scratching it.

For the secondary bend on 10 of the spokes, I made a small jig. Just clamped two 3/4" thick strips of steel together and drilled a hole on the join, the size of the spoke and then used it in the bench vise to clamp each spoke which I ben using a wide adjustable wrench. It worked a treat!

I will post some more pictures later on Flickr.

Mike

• 03 Jul 2015 9:53 AM
    Reply # 3417785 on 3417584

Thanks Mike for the tech tip! When you stripped out the spokes and started again, what exactly did you change from previous?

• 03 Jul 2015 5:08 PM
    Reply # 3418127 on 3417584

Hi Carl,

I changed spokes and rim. The rim was changed as it was pretty rusty and spokes were changed as I thought that if they were original spokes, then high time to replace them as well. Probably well past their "sell by" date !!

One thing than I forgot to do, was to take detail photos of the wheel before I stripped out the spokes as this would have saved me a lot of time later, although I doubt if it would have made that all important start hole any more visable. That can only be checked out using GY's method in Tech Top #14, figure 4.

Mike.

• 05 Jul 2015 5:11 AM
    Reply # 3418959 on 3417584

After I had a closer look at the spoke holes on the smaller hub flange, the holes are arranged symetrically and as far as I can see, the all important start point when lacing, can be found in 10  positions. Equally, you could get 10 wrong positions if you started at the wrong point.

Mike.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.