The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Gas and Electrical Questions

• 01 Aug 2015 10:28 PM
    Message # 3460781
    Anonymous

I am a new owner and hope it's OK to ask some really new owner questions. Which modern octane is best? I saw oil type in the instructional video. Those were very helpful. What does "the magneto is always hot" mean in relationship to the battery or is there one? If these are covered elsewhere just aim me there.

• 02 Aug 2015 8:28 AM
    Reply # 3461087 on 3460781

As the sidevalve engine really has a low compression, the lowest grade of octane is sufficient. It'll be ok with some 70-80 octane. Some people that I know do blend some 10% kerosene or diesel in the regular 95 octane that is sold over here and they swear that the engine runs smoother and better.

The magneto is "hot" has really 2-3 meanings. One is slang for simply when it can produce a spark. Or "hot" as in "active" or "on". The mag can have a ground wire to the mag points and a button or swich for stopping the motor but that is not relying on any battery. The mag is working independently of all other electrical circuit.

On most of our 101 there's no button or switch to ground the points, so the mag is always "hot" and ready to give a spark. But on the Sport handlebar that came with one of my bikes, there was a second horn button placed on the left handle that I assume is for grounding the magneto, and many Fours where equipped with Sport bars.

The Indian Four doesn't have a valve lifter as on our V-twins so they use a wire to short out the mag points in order to stop the motor, I really don't know if some or all models of Fours is stopped with a button on the handlebars or the switch on the instrument panel.

With battery ignition there must be a switch to disconnect the ignition coil, or the battery could be drained through the coil if the motor stops with the points in contact.

The magneto working temperature is "hot", really about 60+ deg celsius, not because there is some kind of bearing friction or anything, but because the magneto field is fluktuating very fast around the magneto and it makes the electrons in the material in the magneto vibrate, much like the regular microwave vibrate the molecules in water and heats up your meal.

Last modified: 03 Aug 2015 3:04 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 08 Aug 2015 11:47 PM
    Reply # 3471361 on 3460781
    Anonymous

So with a magneto, the bike does not depend on the battery at all for starting the motor?

• 09 Aug 2015 12:38 AM
    Reply # 3471364 on 3460781

That's right, the magnet supports itself for the ignition spark and is completly separated from any other electrical source. Even if the generator breaks down and the battery is removed, the magnet gives full spark. That goes for all magnets.

However with the Bosch seen on some Scouts the magnet has a separate little compartment built in the housing where a tiny 30-33W generator is placed and is driven by an internal gear. That generator has a regulator behind the outer cover where some wires is leading to the battery. Still the magnet is independent.

There is other brands with similar combination magnet/generators as well. I think there is a version of Splitdorf that has it, and some version of Lucas has a generator strapped on top of the magnet. But I suspect the combo version of Splitdorf  doesn't fit our Scouts and if the Scout is equipped with a Splitdorf, the generator (also 30-33W) is separate and placed under the saddle. 5Ampere at 6Volt is 30Watt.

Last modified: 09 Aug 2015 1:18 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.