The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Throttle on Right Side

• 02 Aug 2015 11:40 AM
    Message # 3461183
    Anonymous

My throttle is on the right and spark adjustment is on the left. Is this because it is an export model or was this done due to someone's personal preference in the past?

Is it possible for me to switch the cables at the magneto and carb end to correct this? 

Last modified: 02 Aug 2015 8:30 PM | Anonymous
  • 03 Aug 2015 1:16 AM
    Reply # 3462122 on 3461183

Switching throttle position was certainly done for someones personal preference, perhaps available at dealers and shops as accessory.

Left hand throttle is not difficult to learn. A good way is to use both grips both for accelerate and decelerate, until speed control with your left hand becomes natural and you can leave the mag grip alone. Then you got the Indian way of riding!

If you simply can switch over the cables depends on a couple of things. How your carb and magneto is set up, and if one of the control spirals is changed or not. Original when you turn the grips, the left control for the carb is pulling the wire, and the right control for the magneto is pushing the wire. The spirals in the grips are both machined as right hand coil direction.

The magneto can be set up with the lever pointing in either direction so proper function can be had push or pull, and carb lever could be modified for push roll on, but that's really NOT a safe way to have it.

Most likely your right control spiral is changed for one with left hand coil direction, so you have pull function for the carb. However in any case it is really a very good idea to change the whole package in one go for new parts. Spirals, sliders, wires and sheaths (covers) readily available from many providers because all those are subject to wear and that makes the controls sloppy, jerky and heavy. You won't belive how silky smooth, precise and easy new well fitted contols are and how that makes riding so much more relaxing and joyful!

Be really really careful fitting the new wire sheeths as a miniscule kink or bend makes them very heavy in usage and very difficult, but not impossible, to fix a damage on. They are much more sensitive for kinks than modern bowden wires are, and fitting of the length and position at steering lock needs to be set exactly right. Absolutely not too short so the wire stretch around the headstock or too long so it gets in a jam or get crushed. With even the smallest kink or bend, both the sheath and inner wire needs to be straightened.

If you can get to the point where the wires hardly snakes at all when you turn the controls, you have come a fair bit on the way to perfect.

Last modified: 09 Aug 2015 1:48 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 03 Aug 2015 9:59 AM
    Reply # 3462657 on 3461183
    Anonymous

Thank you Carl-Eric! My Chief is left throttle so I hope to put this one back. I'll see what I find as to push/pull this week.   

• 08 Aug 2015 9:23 PM
    Reply # 3471293 on 3461183
    Anonymous

My right side twist grip only turns 1/4 and my left has a 1/2 turn in it. Much more than the magneto requires.

• 08 Aug 2015 11:23 PM
    Reply # 3471358 on 3461183
    Anonymous

Spent a while with it and switching the cables didn't seem to work. I think the push/pull thing is the issue. The right side to the magneto didn't work well when turning the hand grip.

• 09 Aug 2015 1:26 AM
    Reply # 3471367 on 3461183

If the mag doesn't need full travel of the grip it is ok I guess. But if I understand right, you need to investigate the grip internals. Original the grips has 1/2 turn travel.

Maybe it is as easy as the tiny wire sheath clamp on the handlebar outside has shifted. If the wire is kinked and hard to pull, the sheath has a tendency to be drawn in the handlebar.

A good idea also is to check on the 3 tiny rivets that holds the controlspiral in place at the back of the handlebar grip, they have a tendency to loosen up and disappear. The spiral should be firmly attached to the grip tube.

Last modified: 09 Aug 2015 3:46 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.