The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

1931 101 scout fuel tank

• 04 Sep 2015 9:00 AM
    Message # 3510419
    Deleted user

To all,

I have a 1931 Indian 101 and I am fearing the worst. Are the 1931 Fuel tanks the same as the 1928-1930 101 tanks? I have 3 101 tanks and none fit in the frame. They hit the front casting before you can align the mounting holes below. 

Thanks

• 05 Sep 2015 5:48 AM
    Reply # 3511521 on 3510419

It is a bit difficult to diagnose your problem without pictures, but 101 tanks and frames are basically the same for the whole 101 series 28-31. Just details differ. Tanks can definitely be changed between year models and only -31 frame differs in the rear axle casting for all I know.

Have you checked that the downtubes are in straight line with the head casting! A head on accident can push in the head casting, and then the top tube is bowed up a bit so it doesn't follow the tank line perfectly. A fairly small accident can make a difference. The downtubes should be parallell, about 5mm gap in between on top, but the frames I have do close up a bit, to 3-4mm lower down where they bend outwards.

I haven't measured up my riding bike frame and fork in a jig, so I am not sure that bike is perfectly straight, but by eye the head casting and downtubes are straight in line and the top tube follow the tank line very well. There is just a small gap about a mm between the tank and casting at the front, and between the front fender and frame it is about 21-23mm, however that can differ slightly between bikes because the fender can be mounted a bit different. And I am a little bit suspicous about how straight that fork really is.

I wish we had access to a better drawing of the frame and bike measurements in the club! beacuse all frames and forks, doesn't matter if it is NewOldStock, barn fresh or second hand should be measured and thoroughly checked for any flaws before assembly!

My bike I suspect is running a bit like a crab, because I am not satisfied with the straight line stability and I have to cant the rear wheel slightly (or rather turn it by adjust the axle plates unequal) to get it going somewhat straight on the road.

Last modified: 05 Sep 2015 6:45 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 05 Sep 2015 7:38 AM
    Reply # 3511614 on 3510419

Hi David,

With a 1929   101 tank sitting flat on the bench I get a measurement of  20.250" total length.

This should help you determine if the tank is ok.

Mike

• 06 Sep 2015 8:57 AM
    Reply # 3512503 on 3510419

Hi David,

I'm looking for a couple of 1928 tanks if you are interested in selling any.

Regards

Chris

chris@indianchris.com

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.