The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

DLX-51 Venturi size

• 11 Nov 2015 8:16 AM
    Message # 3628504
    Deleted user

I believe the stock venturi size on this carb is 13/16 ID Would it hurt to run a 7/8 ID ? What is the Ideal size? Reproductions tend to run bigger.

Thanks

Dave

• 12 Nov 2015 4:45 PM
    Reply # 3630853 on 3628504

I don't know in practice if it is better or worse, but a theoretical approach is that the choke difference becomes smaller since the venturi outer diameter is the same.  At the inlet it is unavailable with some turbulence that takes away some of the effect with the throat in the venturi especially at low air speed, that is one reason for the later 1" carbs has a much bigger inlet. As the 1" carb body that is used on our Scouts is small at the inlet, a bigger venturi can hurt the idle and low speed characteristics. But as I said before, I am not certain.

Later Scouts used a bigger 1-1/4" carbs or even 1-1/2" and bigger manifold so the motor can take that with good results, and those carbs had a bigger venturi as well, but the inlet/venturi choke difference is larger.

Last modified: 12 Nov 2015 5:25 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 12 Nov 2015 7:39 PM
    Reply # 3630986 on 3628504
    Deleted user

Carl if it wasn't for you this forum would be dead!

Randy at Walker machine said they stopped making the 13/16 venture's because the 7/8 ones out perform the smaller ones. I have to believe him and give it a try. Thanks again for your continued support!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.