The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Original Sweetheart sidecar pics

• 23 Nov 2015 11:33 AM
    Message # 3656320
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Guys, anyone out there know of an original unrestored sweetheart sidecar,or pictures of one ? One of our members is looking for accurate info regarding the upholstery and hardware for a restoration.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

• 24 Nov 2015 6:30 AM
    Reply # 3657919 on 3656320

I got a few pictures, also of the interior and I just now made an album on the Yahoo site so some more people can enjoy the pictures. I am interested in a discussion about the Sweetheart as I got a unrestored example but also missing the interior. It is a pretty rare sidecar since it was manufactured under relativly few years and a bit smaller and lighter compared to the Princess and commercial sidecar versions. It can of course be found in different versions because the manuf. changed during the years. Chassis could be had in different versions as well. The problem is to find the proper fabric and the right pattern or structure for the interior. It was a leather imitation and from what I understand in my research it was made of L.C.Chase & Co. in Boston and was called Leatherwove. Repops of complete Sweethearts has been made earlier by L&W sidecars. I think his name is or was Merle Wolfe.

Last modified: 24 Nov 2015 8:30 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 24 Nov 2015 7:48 AM
    Reply # 3657954 on 3656320

The termination of the Sweetheart gondola, tub, carosse or what ever it's name is up for debate but at least for -32 the Sweetheart was produced. Here is an extract of the 1932 Contact point:

1932 Indian Sidecars
    For Police and sporting business where sidecars are required, Indian dealers are in position to offer a full line of sidecars to fit all models. For this year, the regular light Indian Scout sidecar will fit booth the "45" and "74" machines (the frame beeing the same on these models) and the regular heavy duty sidecar will also fit both these models. Thus in effect the Indian dealer may either offer light or heavier sidecar equipment on Scout 45 or Indian 74 models. In addition, the regular heavy duty sidecar will be supplied for the 1932 Indian 4.

SIDECAR BRAKES will be available on all 1932 Indian sidecars, at a slight extra charge as noted in the enclosed 1932 price list. The new sidecar brake will be approximately the same size in braking area as the front wheel brake on the motorcycle, and will come complete with provisions for inter-connecting it with the rear brake of the motorcycle.

1933 came the streamlined and elegant Sport sidecar tub but the  Sweetheart was still listed in the -33 price list.

Last modified: 24 Nov 2015 8:24 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.