The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front wheel /tire problem

• 11 Feb 2016 10:32 AM
    Message # 3813342

The bike is now building up pretty good, but just hit a snag. After fitting the tire to the front wheel, it is too tight between the rockers unless I let some air out of the tube. I this a normal problem on the 101's or should I be looking at it more closely ? I can gain an extra 1/8" or so if I alter the split pins on the rockers as at the moment they could pierce the tire if I was not careful.

Mike.

• 15 Feb 2016 7:10 AM
    Reply # 3822408 on 3813342
    Deleted user

I had the same problem. Two things I observed. I believe the new tires are wider than the originals. I let the air out to get the tire on the bike. The rocker nuts are very close to hitting the spokes on both my bikes. Second it doesn't take much effort to collapse the forks. in check you dimensions  the hollow axle length VS the rocker distance between. I have to open my forks up 1/2" on one of my bikes. good luck

• 16 Feb 2016 4:56 AM
    Reply # 3824959 on 3813342

It's murder to do with the fender still on, but you can firm up the spring action a little by loosen up the spring plate and push the spring in as much as it goes. Another thing to check on, is that the rockers have the proper angle when the bike is standing free on the ground.

The rockers should be at minimum at the same angle as the lower fender stay and a bit steeper is better. If the rockers is more horisontal the spring action becomes very rough and gives rough action on the road. Not at all as comfortable and smooth that the 101 fork can be despite the short spring action it has.

If it shows to be the case, the spring has sagged with age and use (or/and the link rods can be of wrong model or have been stretched!). It is possible to reshape the spring with cold forming, an experienced smith can hammer it right leaf by leaf, or adapt a wedge on top of the spring at rear. I think George Yarocki have or had such wedges for sale.

Last modified: 16 Feb 2016 5:08 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 16 Feb 2016 7:26 AM
    Reply # 3825062 on 3813342
    Deleted user

Morning guys, two things. Yup, tyres normally need to be deflated to fit wheel in. The rockers are handed, so should be fitted for maximum width, ie the shorter side should be facing the fork . This will give you an extra 3/8" either side. Should clear the rim and spokes no problem.

Have you finished the motor, Mike? Can you send back those spare parts or pay for them ? Been over a year now. 

cheers.

Tim

• 17 Feb 2016 5:42 AM
    Reply # 3826818 on 3813342

Hi Tim,

Sorry about the parts, time flies when you get to my age, seems only three months!! I looked for your email on members list, but could not find it and also I will need your address to return parts.

Re. the wheel clearance, after extensive work on the front forks and going by the forks drawings on the net, I made the forks inside bottom measurement  7  1/4" as per drawing for the 1928/9 forks, but now have altered it to  around 7 1/2",which is what I am staying with. Even at that width, the tyre has to be deflated. (Dunlop K70 400 X 18" ) Bought the tyres on your recommendation Tim and got good price under £80.00 each. They will look in keeping with the age of the machine.

It would definitely be a near impossible job out on the road to remove either front or rear wheel without a trolley jack,unless you are built like Bluto, so will need a good get you home service when it eventually is completed.

I gues when the bikes were new, motorcycle repair shops were much more common than garages so the problem then wa simpified.

I am looking for a pair of old school pannier bags to complete the rear end. These will be much needed to carry a full tool kit !!

Another point, I looked for my engine number on the club listing ,but it does not appear yet. Are this lists ever updated?

Mike.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.