The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 Gas tanks

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 19 Apr 2016 9:07 PM
    Reply # 3972007 on 3857271
    Deleted user

I'm in the middle of a re-build of my 1930 45" 101 and am also after a reproduction tank after discovering that the original was like a sieve - with pinholes throughout.  Jim Parker has indicated he should be able to get a reproduction but I'm not sure of the source.  I'll be following this issue with interest. 

Sadly fuel tank and battery box will be non-original as the rest of the metalwork on the bike is original and in very good condition. 

• 20 Apr 2016 5:03 AM
    Reply # 3972634 on 3857271

Unrestored tanks is for MUSEUM stationary bikes ONLY! Unrestored original tanks should be avoided in my opinion! And a restored original tank needs a new coat of paint anyway so the advantage with -original metal- is only in the head of the owner/restorer.

It is way safer to have new made tanks as the solder in old tanks crystallise with age and gets brittle or is pried apart by migrating rust. Rust never sleeps, it can lie dormant, but is always ready to make new territory. With new tanks the metal is fresh, strong and not corroded.

The strain on the tank, full of gas and oil out on a bumpy road is often overlooked, only the fluid weighs about 12 kg and is sloshed around and jolted in potholes on the road.

If a unrestored tank doesn't crack at the seam, they start to leak at the nipples and screw lugs, and if they don't leak there, they leak between the oil and gas tank or simply right through pin point rust holes through to the outside. If all that is not happening you can be sure the baffles or reinforcement plates inside is rattling loose.

The obvious risk of a catastrophic fire with a suddern large gas leak is not intelligent to take. Or the risk of gas diluted oil that can result in a ruined engine.

Put the original tanks on a shelf! Paint can be distressed so it looks like patinated, if somebody would fancy that.

• 20 Apr 2016 6:44 AM
    Reply # 3972751 on 3857271
    Deleted user

If you can get through the gas tank headaches you made it in my opinion. As far as original vs re pro, I agree, take the original and shelf it. The tank in my opinion is the the most complex and frustration part of these bikes. For example, I have an original tank but it leaks through the oil cavity to the fuel. I have an aftermarket tank and I had it pressure tested and fixed by a radiator shop and it leaked around the de-compression hole. (PS the bike won't start with the de-compression lever engaged....I'm getting old and forgetful. It took me 30 kicks and a beer to figure it out) Back on point. I drained cleaned it and sealed it with dragons blood and it still leaks by the hole... I'm about ready to blow it up. It is painted and sealed so I can't solder the hole up. So I am going to mix some epoxy and fix it from the outside. It is one pin hole! The madness continues. As far as the battery box, don't sweat it. I have an original and it looks like it was run over 8 times. but it is original! I just purchased one on Ebay from a seller in Poland. It looks to be of high quality so we will see when I get it. I try to keep my bikes original as possible but you sometimes cannot do it. If you want to ride them the original parts are worn out and need replacing for reliability and safety. It is what it is. If you have an all original bike and you want to keep it that way, put it the font room in your office and leave it there. I purchased a bike that was restored in the 50's and back then they had no re-pro parts to use so they used anything they could get there hands on. I am now going through the bike and replacing these parts with re-pro parts. It will make the bike function properly and be a safer ride. Some people need to get off this originality kick and realize these bikes were made to ride!

• 21 Apr 2016 12:56 AM
    Reply # 3975145 on 3857271
    Deleted user

Thanks guys - your comments and feedback are much appreciated.  And yes - I'm planning to build my bike for regular riding, so reliability and safety are key considerations.  I have owned it since 1971 after finding it in a wrecking yard in my home town in Norway.  Rode it once while there-  (unrestored and unregistered) on snow covered roads and shipped it back to Australia on my return.  Looking forward to getting it going again.

• 04 May 2016 1:00 AM
    Reply # 4001386 on 3857271
    Anonymous

I just got word from Petr at Reno today and he does not have tanks. It was not clear whether or not he will make any.  I also consulted with Matthew at oldtimer in Poland.  He swears by his European made parts but alas no tank.

• 18 May 2016 4:06 PM
    Reply # 4027214 on 3857271
    Anonymous
    Found a supplier in Europe that makes their tanks in Germany. He has 1 29-30 tank left. Email if you want his info.

Scott

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.