For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 Gas tanks

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 02 Mar 2016 8:07 PM
    Message # 3857271
    Deleted user

To All,

I have 4 original gas tanks and they all have there problems. Leaks, thread inserts breaking loose on the bottoms etc. I have driver 101 and I am always messing around with the tank. Has anyone used the tanks made in India? Are they dependable? Does anyone have a lead on a good aftermarket tank? This is my driver and I could care less if it has an original tank or not.

Also, I am looking for an intake manifold for a 45" 101. I have several 37" 101 manifolds but I am having a hard time locating a 45" manifold. Anybody have leads to OEM or Re-pop manifolds?

Thanks for you response

• 03 Mar 2016 3:15 AM
    Reply # 3858027 on 3857271

Reno CZ have the manifolds in their catalogue but not sure if they have any in stock at the moment.

Best to email Petr first.

Mike

• 03 Mar 2016 5:06 AM
    Reply # 3858208 on 3857271

hello David , Reno - http://reno.indianmoto.cz/index.php?id_category=24&controller=category&id_lang=7&p=3    supply good tanks , I have one on my '28 and everything fitted good and no problems with leaks anymore !! good quality , email Petr , he speaks good English and delivery was quick . best of luck , happy riding , Ken

• 03 Mar 2016 10:14 AM
    Reply # 3858748 on 3857271
    Deleted user

Ken, Dave , let me/us  know if Reno tanks are still available, when I spoke to Petr last year he was not making them. 

Tim

• 05 Mar 2016 10:49 AM
    Reply # 3862794 on 3857271
    Anonymous

David- I Have a 45" intake manifold that came with a couple of Schebler DLX '29 carburetors.

Need a bit of time to get to them though.

Will let you know.

• 07 Mar 2016 5:45 AM
    Reply # 3865459 on 3857271
    Deleted user

Thanks John

You can Email me at davew@totaltooling.net

• 22 Mar 2016 11:15 AM
    Reply # 3900181 on 3857271
    David Walejewski wrote:

To All,

I have 4 original gas tanks and they all have there problems. Leaks, thread inserts breaking loose on the bottoms etc. I have driver 101 and I am always messing around with the tank. Has anyone used the tanks made in India? Are they dependable? Does anyone have a lead on a good aftermarket tank? This is my driver and I could care less if it has an original tank or not.

Hi David,

I recently bought a 28 Scout, and I am looking for a gas tank. The tank on the bike I bought is rotted out pretty badly.

Would you be interested in selling one of your tanks?

Regards,

Dave Goesling

• 27 Mar 2016 7:12 AM
    Reply # 3907506 on 3857271
    Deleted user

The extra gas tanks are not worth selling.They all have their problems. I am going to pull 1 apart and use it to practice my soldering skills. We will see how it goes. The tanks i have are not rusted but leaker's, internally or around the mounting nuts. It is frustrating. I purchased a re-pop tank from Ziggy's a couple of years back and I had to take it to the repair shop and have a pin hole soldered up. Also, the threads on the check valve opening were tapped 3/4 and not 13/16. When I fixed these issues the tank worked fine. I do not know where Ziggy purchased the tank it could be an India Ebay tank. Does anyone know about these tanks? 

One more thing. Instead of tinning the tank parts when I pull the tank apart I was thinking of having them copper plated instead. Would this make it easier to solder together?

• 28 Mar 2016 7:40 AM
    Reply # 3908977 on 3857271
    Deleted user

Tim here. 

Dave, an easy way to retin your tanks is to find an old fashioned radiator repair shop with a tinning bath. Yes , copper plating is worth a try, altho may make parts too large for reassembly if too thick. Bob Harris in Canberra , Australia has a 23 chief ith a copper tank plated tank. The original as wafer thin with many rust holes, but he restored it to a working tank by copper plating, soldering up holes, copper plating etc again and again. He had a friend with a commercial copper plating shop, it ould have been very expensive otherwise.

Ziggys tanks are probably made in India, but the ones on ebay are direct from an Indian maker with no quality control at all. I have seen several that will not fit in the frame at all, and several that have mounting holes in rong places. Ziggys ones are usually useable , I seal the gas part of the tank before going any further.

If you are convinced your tanks are not worth using, send me one for free to play with :)

• 31 Mar 2016 7:40 AM
    Reply # 3920787 on 3857271

Parvinder Singh die press his 101 tanks and he is accessable on facebook. I think you can buy them unassembled so you have control of the quality at assembly. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ILoveMyIndianMotorcycle/permalink/508950619260165/

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.