The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front Cylinder running way too hot....

• 25 Apr 2016 10:41 PM
    Message # 3984882
    Deleted user

Hi,

Well now I have the old girl running I have an issue with the front cylinder running extremely way too hot, the front spark plug has turned white on the metal.....the rear cylinder is running beautifully and the plug is the correct colouring.

I have checked the oil flow and levels etc but started it again today and again way to hot.....the aren't any air leaks around the manifolds or head....what else would be causing this?

Could it be sparking too much? I am running NGK AB-6 plugs.

Thanks for your assistance.

• 27 Apr 2016 4:17 AM
    Reply # 3987865 on 3984882

Unequal temperature is not good. It's a bit difficult to diagnose from the other  side of a screen. Basicly 3 causes, fuel, spark or friction. There is several things you can check and the most common is an air leak that makes the air/fuel mixture lean to one cylinder. Other cause is the spark occur at the wrong moment. The third is friction. In any case the fault needs to be pinned down as soon as possible or a expensive breakdown is likely to happen sooner than later.

The spark in it self has nothing to do with the combustion temperature, it only makes the air/fuel mixture ignite, basicly the higher voltage you can induce between the gap, the easier a lean or turbulent mixture can start to burn. But our flatheads has a very rich air mixture compared to modern engines. A magneto of the sort that we use on our Indians gives about 12-15'000volts. Racing magnetos can make way more. Modern car ignitions with modern solid state technique of today's standard makes 25- up to 40'000 volts or even more. But the spark also needs amperage, or volume of electricity, to make a fat juicy spark with a long duration and a magneto is very good at that where solid state ignitions is poorer in that department. Flatheads likes a fat juicy spark.

NGK is listed with a very wide temperature range, in lists A6 and AB6 is equalled with Champion D16-D21-D9. The difference between A6 and AB6 is only the size of the hexagon key grip. Recommended Champion heat range is D16 or the hotter D14. A hotter range for the NGK is numbered lower (AB5 in this case) but I haven't found any reason to use a hotter plug.

A magneto is depending on the speed that the magneto turns, the faster it turns, the stronger the spark. The advantage with distributor ignition is that makes full strength spark from the beginning and that can make the engine start easier.

Last modified: 27 Apr 2016 4:50 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 27 Apr 2016 5:41 AM
    Reply # 3988095 on 3984882
    Deleted user

Thanks Eric,

Yes I think I may have nailed the problem I figured it had to be one of the three items, friction was no issue as I looked into the cylinder when I took the head off and all was good. I then double checked my timing with the magneto and again all was good. I have the Bosch BEVf on my motor. Anyway when I started her I sprayed some Wd-40 around the intake manifold there wasn't a huge gain in revs near the front intake but funnily more so towards the rear intake...anyway I then undid both re tightened them both. I then started her and let her idle for 10-15mins whilst working on the carby adjustments and the front cylinder didn't seem to get as hot. So tomorrow I will take her for a short ride to test again, so fingers and toes crossed all will be good....

• 06 Jun 2016 7:24 PM
    Reply # 4060399 on 3984882
    Anonymous

Whilst tuning these engines stationary, it is imperative that fan forced air flow is provided.  After all, they are dependant on airflow cooling.  A laser temperature sensor may be used to establish the optimum working temp.  This will allow a more optimum tuning environment, allowing a more accurate tuning process, especially with mixture settings, as prolonged stationary running, with no air cooling, causes over heating and erratic engine operation.  Before and after temperature readings are most useful in this diagnosis.

Last modified: 06 Jun 2016 7:39 PM | Anonymous
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.