The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

wet sumping

• 11 Jun 2016 2:18 PM
    Message # 4069011
    Anonymous

Fired up my 29 101 after a bottom end up rebuild ... the motor seems to be running sweet as a nut with a nice idle ... I rebuilt it with oil control rings set with a big gap (30 thou) ... after 5 mins of running at mid range it's spitting lots of oil out of the breather .. ( early style left hand case breather) I'm assuming that the oil control rings are doing too good a job ... I've been told to simply gently file some flats on the oil control rings to allow some oil to go past them ... any advice from folk running these rings ???

• 12 Jun 2016 8:29 AM
    Reply # 4069728 on 4069011
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Sould be fine with oil rings gapped at that, we normally aim for around 0.018" Will open a fraction after the rings bed in too. Filing the rings may cause blow by, pressurizing the cases and blowing more oil from the breather. Run in carefully.

The left hand breather will always pump a lot of oil if ticking over on sidestand, have you got the breather disc inside the timing chest in there? Its behind the front cam, it is removed if the 1929 breather upgrade is used, but needs to be there for the earlier breather.

• 12 Jun 2016 9:27 AM
    Reply # 4069776 on 4069011

Yes as Tim said, don't file the rings! If you're using a 3 piece oil ring you can reduce the ring pressure by cutting off a small portion (1, not 2 coils) of the spring. But remember oil should not be in the combustion chamber, it only makes trouble with soot and coking.

Check oil level in the crankcase frequently and reduce the oil pump delivery with 1/4 turn at the time. With little consumption the pump ends up delivering very little. Therefor it is important you have a check on what roads you are entering, a fast long stretch might require you opening up the pump a 1/4 turn. (Before, not after!) A bit too much oil is in any case better than too little oil!

I allow an overflow of 2-4 seconds when opening the level screw, up to max a deciliter is ok in my opinion but I'm getting anxious when no oil or just drips coming out...

Last modified: 12 Jun 2016 10:03 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 12 Jun 2016 11:20 AM
    Reply # 4069972 on 4069011
    Anonymous

Thanks for that ... Its running nicely .. I screwed in the oil meter nut all the way this morning I thought it was set at 4 turns out as a starting point ... it was a full 7 turns to take it lightly to the bottom ... too much oil drip I think ... I set it to 4 turns out and got a nice ten mile run before I sensed it was getting a bit full in the crankcase .... stopped and drained about half of the previous excess .. so the oil meter/pump is working with adjustment .. It's running sweet but a bit rich ... no change in colour on the downpipes ... I'll take the oil adjuster in by 1/4 turns and keep checking ... I dont have the little flutter valve inside the timing chest .... but I do have a later timing case cover with the breather up at the mag .. I think I'll swap and fit that one .... gearing is a bit long legged so I'll fit a bigger rear sprocket ... drain off oil is nice and light grey with no bits thank goodness... what gearing do you guys run ?? and thanks again for the help ... I'm still a bit nervous .. but I'll keep the run in calm and stay away from the big uphill slogs for the moment ...

• 12 Jun 2016 11:28 AM
    Reply # 4069989 on 4069011
    Anonymous

I meant to say that I've always assumed that 101's were very oil smoky ... this engine is not smoking at all ... but there is plenty of oil in the cases for sure .. I would prefer to avoid fouled plugs and I've had mixed advice on exactly how the total loss system disposes of surplus crankcase oil .. I can see now that it's a careful balancing act for the first few runs until an optimum is reached ... I am feeling more relaxed about my bottom end rebuild .. and the crank balance seems pretty smooth .... no nasty vibes ....... yet .....

Last modified: 12 Jun 2016 11:28 AM | Anonymous
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.