The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Generator wiring

• 13 Jun 2016 2:53 PM
    Message # 4073212
    Anonymous

Hi, my generator came as a box of bits and I am now in the process of putting it together. I have an old Q&A book which shows how the field coils, etc. are connected but can anyone tell me which wire from the loom goes where including the regulator. It a 1931 with auto-lite type generator.

Thanks

Graham 

Last modified: 13 Jun 2016 3:02 PM | Anonymous
  • 16 Jun 2016 7:19 AM
    Reply # 4078609 on 4073212

It's a bit difficult to know what you mean with your question...What kind of loom you do have. A wire scheme for the 101 is quite easy to find on the net. Be aware that 28-30 scheme is showing connections for the quite rare toggle switch on the panel. -31 scheme shows the twist switch more commonly used. You can also find a more detailed panel wire scheme that shows connections for the twist switch.

If I refer to the orig. Indian loom, the green wire is connected from the switch on the panel to the generator +, and a short black wire is going from the generator body to minus on the battery. From the same screw as the green wire on the switch, a red wire is going via the amperemeter to the battery +.

The cut out relay is connected on the generator between the stationary brush close to the + stud and the + stud, so the relay cuts out the brush and + stud when generator is standing still in order to prevent battery draining.

Really, I would alter the generator to a 2 brush system, it is a lot better for both the battery and generator longetivity. When you do that you disconnect and remove the third movable brush and connect a solid state regulator to the field coil and brushes. It is a very small modification and totally reversable.

The 2 brush regulator regulates the current to the field coil based on the battery charging needs, and lamps consumption. The battery will last longer when there is little risk of overcharge and boiling dry, or drained low on power that is equally bad for the battery longitivity. And the generator is running cooler when it doesn't need to charge fully all the time.

Last modified: 16 Jun 2016 8:05 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 20 Jun 2016 9:59 AM
    Reply # 4086461 on 4073212
    Anonymous

Thanks Carl-Eric where exactly does the short black wire connect to the generator body (I had assumed it was grounded via the frame and the black wire would ground to the frame also - I have no connection on the generator for ground that I can see).

I am also wondering if my generator is correct - it looks the same, it has GAS 191 on one end plate. The pulley is wrong however and looking at pictures looks as if it might be from a Chief - how can I tell if it's correct or not?

Thanks

Graham 

• 20 Jun 2016 7:50 PM
    Reply # 4087458 on 4073212

You are right, the ground is through the generator body to the bracket, to the frame through the motor bolts to the gearbox and then to the battery. But often there is a lot of paint that hamper the ground, so be sure there is blank spots for good connections. You have the gen firmly screwed to the saddle plate, but be sure there is blank spots for good ground connection. 

For those with the older Scouts with a bracket on the frame tube, it is more troublesome. If it is not desireable to sand off paint on the frame, a  discreet wire to the battery can be squeezed between the gen.housing and the bracket.

The ordinary ground wire goes from the battery to the top cap on the gearbox shifter. But i use to put it under one of the gearbox cover nuts.

Usually the gen. is a DU 5 or 7, a very good repro can be bought here (And some good reading!):

http://www.splitdorfparts.com/

And for identification and spare parts these guys knows far more than me:

http://www.splitdorfreg.com/blancard/splitgenart1.html

http://www.mainelymagnetos.com/MagnetoParts.html

Last modified: 20 Jun 2016 8:23 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 21 Jun 2016 5:08 AM
    Reply # 4088519 on 4073212
    Anonymous

Thanks Carl-Eric (for both replies). Regarding the generator, mine is an Auto-lite (since it's a '31) rather than a Splitdorf so if anyone can give me details on how to confirm I have the correct model  (or if I can use a Chief generator on a Scout) that would be helpful.

Thanks

Graham 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.