The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

hill climber racing 101

• 15 Jun 2016 10:38 AM
    Message # 4077182
    Deleted user

I recently acquired a 1931 101 and it looks altered to me.  A couple things stand out. The handlebars are lowered to about the center line of the fuel tank. The rear foot peg mount was removed and welded to the top of the tube instead of the bottom. The motor had later jugs and heads on it and it has Shunk cams. Does anybody know if this was a hill climber or circle track racer? I would like to keep it as found.

Thanks

• 16 Jun 2016 6:50 AM
    Reply # 4078589 on 4077182

If you post pictures on the yahoo forum, it is easier to tell, but without some stories from earlier owners it is difficult to say if it ever was a hill climber. For track racing, better control is had with taller handlebars than standard. It sounds like you could have a lot of fun with it as a street racer! I personally should absolutly remove the shunk cams as they wear a lot on everything in the cam mechanism.

I would have a talk with Jim Mosher at http://www.performanceindian.com/ as he has developed gentler cams with good usable power remaining, and can give good advice on cams, lifters, valve springs, valve seat pressure, guide material and tuning in general. His cams most likely is even gentler on the mechanism then original Indian standard cams!

Last modified: 16 Jun 2016 6:56 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.