The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Saddle springs

• 20 Jun 2016 10:26 AM
    Message # 4086478
    Anonymous

Hi, I am now trying to put my seat together from a bag of unmarked parts (it's a '31). Looking at the R&O Manual I seem to have all the bits but I am puzzled how the bronze bushings fit into the springs. I assume the smaller diameter end of the bushing fits in the hole in the bottom of the large spring and the small spring fits over the top of the bushing but this is a loose fit and I can't see what retains the bushing and prevents it sliding up the yoke.

My bushings may have been turned up by a previous owner as they look slightly different to those in the manual; The manual illustrations show a dished recess in the bottom of the bushing - mine don't have this (is this designed to crush and thus retain the bushing?). Mine are simply a 3/4" brass cylinder 1 1/4" long with reduced diameter of 1/2" at what I assume is the bottom. The internal diameter is 7/16" and the outside diameter of the reduced section is 5/8" measured with a rule.

Any help would be welcome

Thanks

Graham 

Last modified: 20 Jun 2016 10:54 AM | Anonymous
  • 20 Jun 2016 7:06 PM
    Reply # 4087403 on 4086478

Actually it is 2 nickeled washers (od about 29 x 1,8mm) one at each side of the spring loop and the bushing end is flared out to rivet all firmly in place on the spring. The bushing is about 18-19mm diam. 33mm long, 21mm to the reduction that goes through the loop (and washers) and a small enlargement of the bushing hole at the bottom to make it easier to flare. Bushing hole is with a fair bit of play to slide easy on the saddle yoke.

The inner spring goes on the outside of the bushing to rest on the washer.

Last modified: 20 Jun 2016 8:39 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 15 Jul 2016 9:20 AM
    Reply # 4134176 on 4086478
    Anonymous

Looking at the (1928) parts book (and R&O Manual) it seems that there are only 2 washers, also my bag of seat parts came with two washers which fit the smaller diameter part of the bushing and one washer that fits over the wider diameter part of the bushing. So to be clear should the washer on the inside of the spring be exactly the same dimensions as the washer on the outside of the spring and fixed (i.e. riveted) in place or should the step in the bushing hold the bushing in place once the bushing is riveted and then  the inside washer be free to move up and down the bushing inside the spring? The 1931 parts book is unclear as it seems  the spring and bushing were supplied assembled (if I have interpreted it correctly).

Thanks

Graham 

• 16 Jul 2016 2:52 AM
    Reply # 4135767 on 4086478
    There is always variants. Yes in R&O there is only 2 washers with the smaller hole (No.39). The springs I've got on the bike there is no way the top washer is loose, I can't pry a gap in between with a screwdriver. I double checked with some springs I took apart, the washers was easy to identify because the yoke had worn through the bushings and wore on the washers, all 4 had the small hole. I guess the bushing can be riveted without the top washer but I figure the bronze bushing will be more secure with washers on both sides because the softer bushing can wear loose against the spring. If there is space enough for washers on each side I would use that.
    Last modified: 16 Jul 2016 2:56 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.