The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

1931 rear brake rod lengths

• 21 Jun 2016 12:26 PM
    Message # 4089065
    Anonymous

Hi,  can anyone tell me the correct lengths for the two rear brake rods for a 1931 model? I could guess but I would rather get them correct if possible (the RO manual only covers up to 1930)

Thanks

Graham 

• 22 Jun 2016 1:18 AM
    Reply # 4090805 on 4089065

I don't know the lengths, but when the brake shoe is touching the drum, the lever in the middle (at the former cross-over shaft) should be leaning rearwards only a tiny bit just to compensate for some wear. If the lever points forward or rearward too much, you loose some leverage force and the brake feels soft. The closer to 90 degree from the pivot point to the rod you can get it at the moment of braking, the stronger the leverage and force you can put on the brake. That goes for the rear wheel lever as well, but I think it is no splines on that, just one fixed position?

What I can see on pics there is 3 clevises on the rods and they have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of spare thread at the ends for wear adjustment.

The middle lever might have 2 hole options for the rear rod and gets the most leverage force from the pedal if it is in the upper hole, closer to the shaft. You can brake harder that way. You might need that on occations...

Last modified: 22 Jun 2016 2:43 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 22 Jun 2016 8:24 AM
    Reply # 4091315 on 4089065

Actually, the 3rd hole in the linkage pivot lever is for a sidecar brake. That lever was used on the 31 Chief and I believe the 4 also. 1931 was the first year for the optional brake on the Princess sidecar.  Because they FINALLY made a rear brake that was effective, a sidecar brake was now a viable option (Never want more braking on the sidecar than the rear wheel). Like Harley, they adapted a front hub and brake to the sidecar. In fact, the 1931 front hub, narrow with larger spokes, was used as the sidecar hub assembly through 1935.

I assume 1931 was the last year for the sweetheart sidecar which only fit the 101. Does anyone know if a brake was an option for 1931 on the sweetheart?

Gene Harper

• 23 Jun 2016 3:36 AM
    Reply # 4092734 on 4089065

Contact Point No.434 Nov.5 1931 talks about for 1932 the regular light sidecar for Scout will fit both 45 and 74 as the sidecar chassis will be the same for both. It continues with that for the Four, both light and heavy duty sidecar is available. If the Princess was regarded as the regular heavy duty sidecar, it means that the Sweetheart was still sold. And it continues with that a new brake (mod. front brake) is available for all Indian sidecars.

For the commercial sidecars, a lighter chassie than the rugged heavy duty chassis that was "built like a bridge" is available for the 45.

Last modified: 23 Jun 2016 10:24 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.